bad news if you REALLY didn`t like the new Pulsar

no avatar
wastrel

bad news if you REALLY didn`t like the new Pulsar

Sun May 24, 2015 1:02 pm

just read Nigel Allens review of the new Daystate Pulsar, if you haven`t, suffice to say the guy hints at getting rid of ALL his guns for a Pulsar
(this isn`t about airgun reviews-that`s a different topic)
like many of you (not me!) he hasn`t been too impressed by the new influx of of Bullpup designs, if you`re a regular visitor here, I won`t bore you with my opinion of `pups, but Nigel was totally won over by the gun & it`s game changing electronics- which I knew nothing about BTW.
both myself & other members have asked if AA are being left behind in the design stakes, on the strength of this gun, I`d suggest AA are getting blown out of the water!
I think a point worth mentioning here, I don`t buy the monthly`s regularly (I bought this one cos Mark Cammoccio reviewed an LGU vs an LGV) but, when I do, & when I watch posts on youtube regarding pest control, I regularly see Daystates used, what I`m getting at is, those who shoot for a living-not target, use Daystates, a lot!
I will repeat, if shooting wasn`t just a pastime for me, if I`d bonkers money to splash on myself, it`d be a bigger engine for that ruddy 1.4 Jazz I bought recently (liar liar pants on fire Honda!) that wouldn`t pull the skin off a rice pudding, then, a Pulsar!
I think it`s a beauty! Nigel Allen thinks it could make him sell every other gun in his collection!!
Last edited by wastrel on Sun May 24, 2015 5:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

raygun

Re: bad news if you REALLY didn`t like the new Pulsar

Sun May 24, 2015 1:23 pm

What's it won?

ATB
Ray.

no avatar
wastrel

Sun May 24, 2015 1:28 pm

raygun wrote:What's it won?

ATB
Ray.

some (of us) don`t shoot to win Ray!
I`ve never won a shooting competition in my life, doesn`t stop me shooting.
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

raygun

Sun May 24, 2015 1:54 pm

Maybe not, but winning stuff is a good measure of performance.

Hunters don't often miss but you rarely see their results. Target shooters have a direct measure of a rifles performance.
There's already reports of some of the Pulsars finish not being too good, a laser that won't set. Mind you there is a spirit level because the scope is that high you cant the rifle easily.

For £2000 there is an awful lot of rifles out there. Even other Bullpups.

ATB
Ray.

no avatar
wastrel

Sun May 24, 2015 2:12 pm

after fitting a laser sight to a pistol I can tell you, the one thing I`d never use to target a shot, any shot, is a laser! they`d put anyone off shooting for life IMO.
my point was Ray, Daystates are used by many professionals for pest control, seen an awfull lot of MK4`s used in articles & youtube posts, I think the Pulsar will join them, 2k to some people is an investment for their business, & like I said, I`d have one, luckily for me, I simply can`t afford one.
another reason I like the idea of a Bullpup is, my permission is a golf course, not being stupid, I don`t traipse around in full cammo with my rifle when people are about, I shoot when they`re all gone, well, that`s the theory, some diehards turn up at the most unlikely times of the morning & night which has me packing up & scooting off pronto. some members have made it quite clear they don`t want anyone shooting (even pest control) on the course when they`re around, luckily for me, it`s not their decision, so I just like the idea of having a rifle I can quickly stuff in my rucksack, walk off, job done! you can`t fit an S200 in a rucksack (unfortunately)
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

raygun

Sun May 24, 2015 2:27 pm

I think you may find that Professional pest controller use various makes of rifle and even then they are little used.
Bullpups are anything but new and Keith Mepham made quite a number. Your preferred action in his stock.
He probably made the first Daystate bullpup which was a MK3. There are a few shooters who prefer bullpups but they have never been popular as the one big problem that they have is the scope height above the barrel. Not too bad if shooting FT and dialing in but very awkward if your not.

I had a Skan bullpup that had a similar look to the the Daystate but it was one awkward rifle to shoot. From that experience I would never have another. If I had a problem with rifle transport I think I would get a "Take down" that you can put in a small rucksack.

ATB
Ray.

no avatar
wastrel

Sun May 24, 2015 2:38 pm

spot on as usual Ray, the one main issue I have looking at the Pulsar is the scope rail height, I wonder why TH does it have to be so high up? (I`ll leave that there -after last time!)
I`ve never shouldered a Bullpup, I just like the look of them & think I`d like one-who knows, my point is, & OP was, a long time sceptic like yourself was totally won over by the Pulsar, if I win the lottery I`ll buy one, & bring it to the meet. can`t say fairer than that!
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

no avatar
Brooksy

Sun May 24, 2015 5:42 pm

I'm new on here but I have loads of experience with my Rapid and it can hit a anything a Daystate hits all day long, in fact, more as the batteries never go flat. I also have an AA 410 TDR and it's accurate, light and easily transported. It has an air reservoir and a barrel and I operate a bolt and trigger. What I'm saying is, basic good design cannot be beaten, only refined. Bowers and Wilkins, Keff and Celestion make top quality speakers with no fancy trickery, Panasonic and Technics made speakers with LED displays and flat honeycomb drivers, but they were worse than awful. Honda Jazz? I have the 1.4 and I find it quite quick when needs be, you have to thrash it into the Vtec band, but then again it isn't hilly where I live. But I do know that it will never, ever fail me as it is engineered with pride and passion. Death before dishonour as the Japanese say!!

If 2 grand on an air rifle floats your boat then fair enough, but my Rapid and TDR give the same end result. Maybe Daystate are making the same mistake as Mercedes did... putting profits before quality.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second one mouse that gets the cheese.

Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20, Light Stream 4.5X14X44 FFP.
AA S410 TDR .177, Yukon Photon XT with 135 mm lens conversion.

Geordie

Sun May 24, 2015 5:44 pm

I dont see how a two grand gun is going to cut into AA's profits :?

I personally like bullpups to a certain extent, but I think the DS offering is by far the ugliest bullpup on the market. THAT pistol grip is the worst I've seen. It looks like someone snapped it off a tactical rifle and stuck it under the DS.
AA s410K .177
BSA R10 .177 Super carbine. (Blacky)

no avatar
wastrel

Sun May 24, 2015 6:21 pm

Brooksy wrote:I'm new on here but I have loads of experience with my Rapid and it can hit a anything a Daystate hits all day long, in fact, more as the batteries never go flat. I also have an AA 410 TDR and it's accurate, light and easily transported. It has an air reservoir and a barrel and I operate a bolt and trigger. What I'm saying is, basic good design cannot be beaten, only refined. Bowers and Wilkins, Keff and Celestion make top quality speakers with no fancy trickery, Panasonic and Technics made speakers with LED displays and flat honeycomb drivers, but they were worse than awful. Honda Jazz? I have the 1.4 and I find it quite quick when needs be, you have to thrash it into the Vtec band, but then again it isn't hilly where I live. But I do know that it will never, ever fail me as it is engineered with pride and passion. Death before dishonour as the Japanese say!!

If 2 grand on an air rifle floats your boat then fair enough, but my Rapid and TDR give the same end result. Maybe Daystate are making the same mistake as Mercedes did... putting profits before quality.

Airgunning (for me) doesn`t get any better than AA fields through my S200 at 20-30m (my limits)
BUT! my OP is, Nigel states you`ll get sub 20mm groups at 50m & beyond with a Pulsar, you need to understand my OP or read his review- otherwise you`ll not get it!
we all say- my outfit suits me fine-does me all day long- hits the target- can you shoot sub 20mm groups at 50m-I`m quoting Nigel here.
sub 20mm groups at 50m? I wish!
edit:- & Back in Black doesn`t get any better than played through my Keff 7`s!
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member