Eley First Select Cartridges

no avatar
Pat g

Eley First Select Cartridges

Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:44 pm

Was'nt sure which section to write this post but as we don't have a firearms section now, or certainly as yet i've decided to place it here in off topic. Anyway i recently purchased 1000 of these new cartridges for my clay shooting activities. So those members on here that shoot clays may find this useful. I have for a long time now used Eley Olympic Blues 28gram 7 1/2's. I was picking 1000 of these up for around £160 and have always found they pattened well with good clean and consistent breaks over all distances. However after a recent trip to Keiths Sports of Saltburn with Katzenjamer (Steve) i purchased 1000 Eley First Selects again in28 gram 7 1/2's just for a change and again because the price was competitive as are most things from Keiths. I shot a 50 bird sporting yesterday morning and all i can say is wow!!! these cartridges are really good. Fantastic breaks on some long range clays but what i was most impressed with was how smooth shooting they are, almost as smooth as Hull Imperial Game cartridges for anyone that may have used them before. On returning home from the Clay club yesterday i cleaned the gun only to find they are a very clean cartridge as well. Cleaner than my usual Eley Olympic Blues.
So all in all i would recommend anyone who shoots clays regularly as i do to give them a go. Recent reviews seem to praise them too ;)
ATB,
Pat
Ceaser Guerini Magnus Sporter 12g
Beretta Urika 2 12g Auto
243 howa 1500, 3-12x50 Zeiss, Wildcat mod
Sako Finfire 22lr
CZ 452 Varmint 17HMR
AA S410 carbine 177
HW 77k SFS stage 2 177

bgaltd

Re: Eley First Select Cartridges

Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:57 pm

Pat g wrote:Was'nt sure which section to write this post but as we don't have a firearms section now, or certainly as yet i've decided to place it here in off topic. Anyway i recently purchased 1000 of these new cartridges for my clay shooting activities. So those members on here that shoot clays may find this useful. I have for a long time now used Eley Olympic Blues 28gram 7 1/2's. I was picking 1000 of these up for around £160 and have always found they pattened well with good clean and consistent breaks over all distances. However after a recent trip to Keiths Sports of Saltburn with Katzenjamer (Steve) i purchased 1000 Eley First Selects again in28 gram 7 1/2's just for a change and again because the price was competitive as are most things from Keiths. I shot a 50 bird sporting yesterday morning and all i can say is wow!!! these cartridges are really good. Fantastic breaks on some long range clays but what i was most impressed with was how smooth shooting they are, almost as smooth as Hull Imperial Game cartridges for anyone that may have used them before. On returning home from the Clay club yesterday i cleaned the gun only to find they are a very clean cartridge as well. Cleaner than my usual Eley Olympic Blues.
So all in all i would recommend anyone who shoots clays regularly as i do to give them a go. Recent reviews seem to praise them too ;)
ATB,
Pat

how much did you pay for them Pat ?

no avatar
Pat g

Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:06 pm

I paid £160 for them Julian. I have seen them for a little less. Basically the same price as i was paying for the Olympic Blues. A new line of cartridges though only introduced this year. Really nice to shoot!!! ;)
ATB,
Pat
Beretta Urika 2 12g Auto
Sako Finfire 22lr
CZ 452 Varmint 17HMR
AA S410 carbine 177
HW 77k SFS stage 2 177

bgaltd

Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:01 pm

Pat g wrote:I paid £160 for them Julian. I have seen them for a little less. Basically the same price as i was paying for the Olympic Blues. A new line of cartridges though only introduced this year. Really nice to shoot!!! ;)
ATB,
Pat

i'll look out for them , ta :-) .

bgaltd

Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:05 pm

sorry , forgot to ask , were they plastic or fibre wads ?

no avatar
Pat g

Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:15 pm

bgaltd wrote:sorry , forgot to ask , were they plastic or fibre wads ?

I bought 750 plastic and 250 fibre Julian ;)
ATB,
Pat
Beretta Urika 2 12g Auto
Sako Finfire 22lr
CZ 452 Varmint 17HMR
AA S410 carbine 177
HW 77k SFS stage 2 177

bgaltd

Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:29 am

Pat g wrote:

ATB,
Pat

how did the fibre pattern compared to the plastic ?

Katzenjammer

Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:19 am

Yet to try mine as finishing up odds and ends of my last batch of Lyalvales. But good to read the good and positive reviews on these Eleys. I only use fibrewads now on the permissions even when clay pigeoning.

One thing we need is a pattern wall, currently we use big pieces of cardboard we get from Dunkley's taped together.
ATB
Steve
Member since Autumn 2007

no avatar
Pat g

Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:25 pm

bgaltd wrote:
Pat g wrote:

ATB,
Pat

how did the fibre pattern compared to the plastic ?

Hi Julian,
I patterned the plastic wads on Sunday morning using the clubs pattern plate. Now my Ceaser Guerini throws excellent patterns with the majority of cartridges i've put through it since i bought it including my Game cartridges but i can tell you that through 1/4 and 1/2 chokes (my preferred chokes when shooting sporting and also on game) the patterns were consistent with good pellet distribution shot at 30 yards. Certainly as good as and if i'm honest probably better than the Olympic Blues. As yet i have'nt patterned the Fibre loads. I mainly use plastic where permitted for clay pigeon shooting as i maintain that plastic wads throw better patterns than fibre. However all my Game cartridges are fibre only and i bought 250 of the Eley First Selects in fibre purely to use on one of our permissions where we have clay traps and i don't want to litter the farm with plastic wads. Pick up a couple of boxes of the Eley First Selects Julian and let me know what you think. They are a 67mm case as opposed to a 70mm case on the Olympic Blues. I read somewhere that Eley have used a new powder developed specifically for the new Select range. If this is true it certainly seems to work as the cartridges are incredibly smooth with no loss of performance what so ever. If anything performance is better than some of the other clay cartridges i've used over the years and i've used a fair few :)
ATB,
Pat
Beretta Urika 2 12g Auto
Sako Finfire 22lr
CZ 452 Varmint 17HMR
AA S410 carbine 177
HW 77k SFS stage 2 177

Gnome of the Woods

Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:30 pm

But you all shot the girly 12g, what about the man's 20g?
Artist formally know as Gnome of the Woods