Air gun government review

Blackbaronfish

Air gun government review

Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:43 am

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/home ... -and-wales

I hope they look at it with both eyes open. The last thing we want is a knee jerk reaction.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Re: Air gun government review

Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:58 am

The new leaflet is totally proportionate and if the review goes the same way we should be ok.

gdavison

Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:27 pm

TenMetrePeter wrote:The new leaflet is totally proportionate and if the review goes the same way we should be ok.

agree
AA FTP900, AA HFT500, AA S510, FWB-800FT

Blackbaronfish

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:18 pm

The two deaths add far too much weight :o

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

gdavison

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:25 pm

to be accurate (no pun intended) first reason was not a death "Bristol South MP Karin Smyth after the serious injury in her constituency of 18-month-old Harry Studley in July last year, who was shot with an air rifle by a neighbour."

Timmytree

Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:59 pm

gdavison wrote:to be accurate (no pun intended) first reason was not a death "Bristol South MP Karin Smyth after the serious injury in her constituency of 18-month-old Harry Studley in July last year, who was shot with an air rifle by a neighbour."

MPs like Karin Smyth would happily ban air rifles or impose draconian licencing laws. Why? Because that wouldn't affect her personally.
Why not impose a ban or extra laws on the use of cars which legally kill far more people every year than legally held air rifles. Or maybe knives, motorbikes, electric blankets, scooters, trampolines, trains, planes, taxis, buses, bicycles, pogo sticks. Oh hang on! How many die of food poisoning every year? How many die of running or while playing golf? How many people die in sheds or workshops? Should having a workshop or shed be illegal?
It's the usual bullshit lefty crap from idiots who have no real idea and care even less about the reality.

no avatar
FPoole

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:55 am

Timmytree, don't forget swimming pools. I once saw a report that said the number of drownings in family pools was 5 times the gun death rate for children. This was in Florida and there are plenty of pools, and guns.

gdavison

Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:36 pm

And to add to the debate

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/offensive-and-dangerous-weapons-new-legislation

I started the response and then deleted it as the options are so ill thought out .. so what happens re online purchases of woodwork tools, gardening equipment (ie axes, machetes etc) and other edged weapons ?
Why pick on the .50 cal guys ? when was a .50 Cal weapon used nefariously such that we need a blanket ban ?
The "corrosive substance " suggestion is beyond flawed and "We are not intending to define “corrosive substance” in this offence. As the proposed offence must be flexible enough to cover a range of possible situations: from someone possessing a corrosive substance in a public place that if used as weapon can leave life changing injuries; through to someone using a less harmful corrosive substance which if used as a weapon can still be very unpleasant to the victim but the effect is not lasting" .. so Stink bombs would become illegal as would smelly french cigarettes or even a hot copy of coffee that could be thrown is some ones face and scald them "causing a life changing injury"

:(

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:31 pm

I never knew a pea shooter (aka blowpipe) was an offensive weapon. How hard would you need to blow to hurt anyone?

gdavison

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:11 pm

TenMetrePeter wrote:I never knew a pea shooter (aka blowpipe) was an offensive weapon. How hard would you need to blow to hurt anyone?

just a big puff ... err like [redacted - no comment]