Heavy rust on old airgun

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Re: Heavy rust on old airgun

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:58 am

We all love airguns and rescuing a wreck is always gratifying. De-rusting and refinishing applies to all makes.
However I agree that buying one without sights where the rifle relies on the proprietary ones (no sight rails on this model I believe) can be an expensive mistake. Ebay is the only sensible source or get the tools out and make some.

pedro.m.reis

Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:22 am

Hi all, thanks for your comments.
Let me put the situation in context:

- I got the rifle for free, so far I've spent exactly 0€ + labor to take it apart.
- I' still budgeting the repair/rebuild. I will not spend more than 50€-ish on it. Until now I need the sights, the spring, the seals, some screws and the rust/bluing thing. I think I can get there If I get the sights on budget.
- I'm considering this a learning process. I know that the finished product will never come close in terms of accuracy, or anything, to my HW50 or TX200.
- I have a 11 years old daughter that likes to come and plinking to to garden with me, but the HW50 is still too big and heavy for her. This Diana would make a nice initiation rifle to her, I guess. Its light, its small, its easy to cock, it has a very light and smooth trigger, it should be able to take down a soda can at 10m or so. What else can I get for 50€-ish for a kid?

I think the I going to try the vinegar bath + wool, unless there is a big no-no for some reason.
If I use the vinegar, should I seal the inside of the barrel so no acide goes in? The inside is rust free as far I can see.
TX200 Mk3
HW50
Diana mod. 25 (being rebuild)

no avatar
Axelrod

Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:33 pm

Try T W Chambers for spares. Their list is extensive. An old gun may be devalued by bad restoration. While it may look rough ,if it shoots well it will really piss people off. dave

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:38 pm

Axelrod wrote:Try T W Chambers for spares. Their list is extensive. An old gun may be devalued by bad restoration. While it may look rough ,if it shoots well it will really piss people off. dave

That's £71 for the front and back sights to save looking!

pedro.m.reis

Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:06 pm

TenMetrePeter wrote:
Axelrod wrote:Try T W Chambers for spares. Their list is extensive. An old gun may be devalued by bad restoration. While it may look rough ,if it shoots well it will really piss people off. dave

That's £71 for the front and back sights to save looking!

Lol... no.. no way :)
Tks for looking in advance :)

I wonder, if a sight fits the screws, ( in my case 40mm between screw holes for the rear sight) what can prevent it to work properly? Yes, it will not be the original sight, but will be good enough to aim?
TX200 Mk3
HW50

no avatar
Axelrod

Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:43 pm

For cheap think Gamo. You should have a Gamo dealer in your country. Parts are silly cheap and rear sights are screw fixed. dave

pedro.m.reis

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:31 am

Axelrod wrote:For cheap think Gamo. You should have a Gamo dealer in your country. Parts are silly cheap and rear sights are screw fixed. dave

Yep, Im on to it.
Gamo, Norica.. all have 4mm in-between holes rear sights.
The problem is the front sigh now :)
TX200 Mk3
HW50

Blackbaronfish

Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:19 am

A nice winter project... just know what your getting into :mrgreen:

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Mason

Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:28 am

This may be of interest to you; this guy knows his onions. He rambles a bit but bare with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCuQquR-rzo

&

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljiauwNVjzs

& finally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNxyFAsxWW0
Last edited by Mason on Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

pedro.m.reis

Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:33 am

Mason wrote:This may be of interest to you; this guy knows his onions. He rambles a bit but bare with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCuQquR-rzo

&

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljiauwNVjzs

Tks! will look at it tonight!
TX200 Mk3
HW50