Walnut Stocks

no avatar
SWANNYR

Walnut Stocks

Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:08 am

I have a S510 with a walnut stock . When new I treated it well with CCL oil , then Black bison polish . I would now like to remove polish then re oil stock and leave as an oiled stock no polish . Looking for best way to remove polish please . Thanks in advance

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Re: Walnut Stocks

Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:11 pm

I would use pure turpentine and some rough rag like denim. That will get most of the wax off and be compatible with the oil. Smells better than white spirit. Carnauba in the black bison will be tough. If you are brave 0000 Liberon wire wool instead of the denim will clean it right off but you will lose some patina too.

Wait for more opinions.

no avatar
SWANNYR

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:46 pm

Just looked on the Liberon website , they do a dirt and polish remover , also 0000 steel wool . This looks to be the way forward . All available from local Screwfix.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:48 pm

If you want to know what is in these products Google the COSHH data sheet for it. The polish remover is mostly hydrocarbons C9-C11 ie white spirit with some strong alcohol and a few other solvents. It will be good, I trust their stuff.
Keep 0000 wire wool away from batteries in your storage drawer. A 9v smoke alarm/radio battery will set the lot on fire. (Try a little bit for fun)