S410f classic cocking

no avatar
Beardo

S410f classic cocking

Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:37 pm

Evening All, I'm new here so go easy :)

Picked up a gorgeous s410f classic the other day, now my other two rifles are going to collect dust.

Basically, I've seen numerous videos of people able to cock their rifle with great ease, yet on mine, it requires a very good firm tug back to fully cock. Is this something that'll bed in over time(even tho it's a used rifle) or, is there anything I can do to make cocking a lot easier?
Thanks for now,
Tim

Blackbaronfish

Re: S410f classic cocking

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:41 pm

Try not to grip the ball end. Make sure your thumb is as near to the shaft as possible other wise it puts side pressure on the bearing.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Beardo

Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:17 am

Thanks for the reply, that's pretty much just how I'm gripping the bolt. Whole hand over it, thumb onto opposite side to give as much leverage as possible, it's just quite a firm pull on the final cocking action.

Blackbaronfish

Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:44 am

Just a thought if your running at fac level the hammer spring will be a bit more beefy :mrgreen:

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Beardo

Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:10 am

I've not ran it over a chrono yet as I was just getting it zero's and testing pellets, but, it shouldn't be fac.
If it stays dry, I'll get out after work and run it over the combro.
Is it easy enough to strip it down and get to the hammer spring? Or if it's got anti tamper can I not get to anything?

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:47 am

Also put moly grease on the rear of bolt. Apply small dab to rear of bolt when fully back and work it in. Monthly maintenance.

no avatar
Beardo

Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:24 pm

Well, I didn't get chance to shoot after work, bit did however remove the bolt and apply a light smear of moly, Cycled the rifle sever times to work it all over the bolt. And now I'm able to cock the rifle with one finger, fantastic.
Thanks for the tip on that, as I was thinking it's was more an internal problem.

Very much appreciated, thank you all.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:24 am

Good ho. Last week I shot 75 competition shots and having a smooth bolt which I cock whilst still shouldered makes all the difference. The grip with the thumb will still reduce wear. AFAIK it is not a bushed bolt housing just a hole reamed in the alloy housing so I like to keep wear to a minimum with the moly.