Martin McGuinness

Blackbaronfish

Martin McGuinness

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:59 am

Martin McGuinness at the age of 66...no age really is it :o

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Big Dog

Re: Martin McGuinness

Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:52 am

Guess I should be a bit careful about what I say here, but to me he is no loss. As a soldier for many years during the height of the troubles in N.I., this individual was simply one of the enemy. Whilst one must give credit for the good that may have come from his actions as a legalized politician in later years, his past must never be forgotten. Those who served in 'the province' and those who lost loved one's will forever remember this man for what he was, an active member of the IRA, and not what he became.

Blackbaronfish

Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:46 pm

I always thought someone would have killed him rather than die of a short illness.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Brooksy

Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:26 pm

I was surprised when the Queen shook his hand, and quite amused when he asked her how she was, her reply was priceless, "well, I'm still alive."

Veiled dig?
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second one mouse that gets the cheese.

Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20, Light Stream 4.5X14X44 FFP.
AA S410 TDR .177, Yukon Photon XT with 135 mm lens conversion.

bgaltd

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:44 pm

i'd have shot him years ago , for free .........

just hand me the pistol and 2 bullets , job done .

murderous bastard should have been executed years ago .

no avatar
Gixxerboy

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:50 pm

Blackbaronfish wrote:Martin McGuinness at the age of 66...no age really is it :o

BBF

He saw a lot more of life than the ones he put underground.

no avatar
gary martin

Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:11 pm

a little too close for comfort. as my family are from Ulster, they have feared his brand of politics in it's more hands on role from the early 70s onwards. I know people can change, and with the advent of a new kind of peace to which he is a part, the past decade have been better for them. His past taints any recent progress though, and I find it hard to feel anything towards him. I do not feel sorrow or joy, but I shall not miss him in the slightest. All I can say is that he made his mark in history, time will reveal how he will be remembered, terrorist or peace maker? I know how I will view him, but that is personal.

Blackbaronfish

Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:54 am

It's very much like the prisoner that turns to God....the crime has already been done :o :roll:

BBF

no avatar
Big Dog

Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:47 am

gary martin wrote: time will reveal how he will be remembered, terrorist or peace maker?

For those who fought him, for those who lost loved one's and/or suffered because of him and the likes of him, Martin McGuinness will forever be remembered for what he was, a terrorist, a murderer, someone who should have been put down 50 years ago. I'm sure that I'm not the only ex-squaddie who had several celebratory drinks last night. There is absolutely no difference between McGuinness and Osama bin Laden. Sadly the likes of McGuinness, many of them his ex IRA colleagues, still pervade our society and governmental structure and have been permitted to expunge their pasts as a result of the so called N.I. Peace accord - I look forward to the day they pass and will celebrate accordingly.

Hopefully I haven't offended anyone, as you can see, I feel extremely strongly about this, having lived through the era during which these people bombed and killed innocents without remorse simply for the sake of it.