Chainsaw Carburetor tune

Raj

Chainsaw Carburetor tune

Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:25 pm

Hi All Anyone within a reasonable drive from Rugby who can teach me how to tune up the carburetor on my Huskvarna 236 14" Chainsaw? It doesnt idle well, needs a fair bit of revving initially to get it going and I dont believe it is set up right. It has been like this from new. Much obliged for any help please.
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

no avatar
Brooksy

Re: Chainsaw Carburetor tune

Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:45 pm

Read this Raj, looks like it may be a bit of a dog I'm afraid.

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/husqv ... eries.html
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second one mouse that gets the cheese.

Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20, Light Stream 4.5X14X44 FFP.
AA S410 TDR .177, Yukon Photon XT with 135 mm lens conversion.

no avatar
neil

Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:59 pm

if it was like that from new take it back to them to tune, setting them up can be tricky if you have not got the "ear" for it, most are set up freehand so to speak, first thing I allways do with saws is change the fuel filter but if your is fairly new then that should not be a problem, next is fresh fuel, unleaded tends to degrade fairly quickly, there is a fuel conditioner that you should use if your not a heavy user and don`t guess at the amount of 2stroke oil to use, by the small dosing bottles, the stihl stuff comes in two grades, one does 5ltrs the other 10, putting more in just buggers up the mixture, knowing you you will fiddle with it yourself (no harm in that, might do a better job than most), only 2 screws to adjust it, google them to see which one does what and give the idle screw 1/8 turn either way and see what happens, should not really be much more than 1/4 to 1/2 turn to set it right anyway

Raj

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:27 am

Thanks, Neil. Good advice. I have been fiddling with 2 stroke engines since I was a kid. However, the two screws look like they need a special tool so I guess I will need to buy it. I did clean the air and fuel filters out. Will dump the fuel and buy fresh ... it has been sitting in the 5 litre can for some months (but without the 2 stroke oil mixed in - I always do that just before putting in the tank). It is not broken - I am still cutting loads of wood - just not as perfect as I would like it ;)

no avatar
Roger5

Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:05 pm

Piece of cake, once the antitamper is out :lol:

no avatar
dyer

Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:25 pm

An engineer at work adjusted mine for me ,he used a bit of silicone tube to turn the adjuster . It was quite thick walled tube and was pretty rigid .
I seem to remember looking for the tool online at the time but couldn't find one. If you find one let me know as I have misplaced the tube and the engineer has left work !

no avatar
dyer

Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:33 pm

Ha just looked and they have them on the auction site !

Raj

Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:26 am

Thanks. Liking the tube idea. I have some spare ... Will take a look in the morning. :)

no avatar
neil

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:02 am

from the quick bit of googling I've done it looks like they are just small spline headed screws (12 point), should not be too difficult to source one, don`t know without digging through my lot how small my bits go