Barrel Clean on Ultimate Sporter

gdavison

Barrel Clean on Ultimate Sporter

Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:54 pm

Went to clean the barrel on my Ultimate Sporter and as with my S510 superlight I first took the moderator off to get the pull thru down through the moderator, but off course on the superlight its a simple unscrew from the shroud and with the Ultimate Sporter its a undo grub screw and then realise the moderator is part of the "support" to the barrel .. As such after the clean and refit of the moderator I needed to re-zero again as it was a little out

Got me wondering if I could feed the pull thru without removing the moderator, tried the straw trick as used on S510's however could not find one small enough to go down the .177 Moderator on the ultimate sporter ..

Simple Q .. how do other folk clean the barrel on their Ultimate Sporter
AA FTP900, AA HFT500, AA S510, FWB-800FT

no avatar
Roger5

Re: Barrel Clean on Ultimate Sporter

Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:39 pm

VFG quick cleaning pellets. Rog

gdavison

Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:29 am

Roger5 wrote:VFG quick cleaning pellets. Rog

Great suggestion - TY

gdavison

Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:33 pm

Am reading lots of mixed reviews on VFG quick cleaning pellets vs say a Napier Pull Thru .. any real experiences from here versus the two methods ?

no avatar
Roger5

Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:47 pm

gdavison wrote:

Am reading lots of mixed reviews on VFG quick cleaning pellets vs say a Napier Pull Thru .. any real experiences from here versus the two methods ?

VFGs are ok, I sometimes use them two together, I have seen the Napier pull thru snap in the barrel, bugger to get the patches out, And you can put a bit of lube on a VFG aswell. Remington also do them, but not as good as VFG . Rog

gdavison

Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:11 pm

Roger5 wrote:
gdavison wrote:

VFGs are ok, I sometimes use them two together, I have seen the Napier pull thru snap in the barrel, bugger to get the patches out, And you can put a bit of lube on a VFG aswell. Remington also do them, but not as good as VFG . Rog

Cheers Rog

no avatar
Jezzer

Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:01 am

gdavison wrote:Went to clean the barrel on my Ultimate Sporter and as with my S510 superlight I first took the moderator off to get the pull thru down through the moderator, but off course on the superlight its a simple unscrew from the shroud and with the Ultimate Sporter its a undo grub screw and then realise the moderator is part of the "support" to the barrel .. As such after the clean and refit of the moderator I needed to re-zero again as it was a little out

Got me wondering if I could feed the pull thru without removing the moderator, tried the straw trick as used on S510's however could not find one small enough to go down the .177 Moderator on the ultimate sporter ..

Simple Q .. how do other folk clean the barrel on their Ultimate Sporter

I also have an Ultimate Sporter and have the exact same problem every time I remove and replace the moderator, can be up to 3/8" different. IMHO this is a poor design which has bugged me or a while now, I love the looks and feel of it and now I've got rid of the two stage trigger and is now a single stage I like it more, but the dam shroud are arrangement !!!!
So I've made the decision to pull the thing apart and rebuild it with a totally free floating 16mm diameter L/W barrel. The shroud I am replacing with a carbon fiber tube, 20mm o/d x 1mm thick. I plan to use the original moderator without the O ring so it will just be inside the shroud but not touching.
Machining starts tomorrow on the barrel. I'll take pictures and post on here if anybody's interested.
Jez.

no avatar
Roger5

Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:15 am

What i used to do before I dumped the shroud on my u/s was to unscrew the shroud slightly so that the shroud had no effect on barrel and mod alignment, it worked for me, I also like the idea of chunkier barrel, it has been done before, but not to my knowledge on an S510, should work ok as more room between cylinder and barrel on S510, let us know how you get on. Rog

no avatar
Jezzer

Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:24 pm

Hi Rog, thanks for the reply but a don't understand how unscrewing the shroud slightly takes pressure off moderator.
My plan is the new carbon shroud will not touch the new barrel at all and will go through the original barrel band just really for cosmetic look.
Jez.

no avatar
Roger5

Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:36 pm

Jezzer wrote:Hi Rog, thanks for the reply but a don't understand how unscrewing the shroud slightly takes pressure off moderator.
My plan is the new carbon shroud will not touch the new barrel at all and will go through the original barrel band just really for cosmetic look.
Jez.

If the shroud is fully tightened, you will find that as you refit the mod it pulls the barrel to one side, if you slacken the shroud off slightly, it can't do this, as I say it works for me. Rog