Most important factor for accuracy

no avatar
FPoole

Most important factor for accuracy

Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:53 am

I've decided that the single most important factor for springer accuracy is the stock. Taking for granted that the said gun is in good health, the stock makes a world of difference. I have one factory stock that no TX I own does well in. I have a couple of others that seem to help all my guns. Granted a big heavy lump seems to be better, but if it's not just right on the inletting, the gun won't shoot. The rear of the action seems to be very important and I plan to try a little glass bedding in the future to prove or disprove my hunch. My current favorite was having a wandering poi so I started to pull the action for a look. I started to remove the large trigger guard screw and I could feel the main bolt in the action turning. Turns out that this custom stock is just a bit thin between the action to trigger guard area. The large screw had bottomed in the lug and was locked up, but with so little preload, it wasn't a big problem. I shortened the screw a bit and the gun is back to fantastic again. I've been chasing this for a few weeks and in 2 different stocks. Hope it's finally the fix the gun needed.

no avatar
bodger

Re: Most important factor for accuracy

Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:07 pm

i will be interested to see your results from the stock bedding, it seems to be considered essential in the firearm accuracy circles but seldom if ever mentioned in relation to airgun's, i suppose the lower forces involved means its less likely to be an issue.are the stocks you have an issue with used @ 12 ftlb or on fac power levels?

Raj

Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:57 pm

+1 for fit of action to stock.... Firearm or air rifle .... if there is any kind of play or looseness between the action and the stock, you can forget about match grade results. I shim everything up till the whole assembly feels and sounds rock solid 8-)
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

no avatar
FPoole

Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:32 am

bodger wrote:i will be interested to see your results from the stock bedding, it seems to be considered essential in the firearm accuracy circles but seldom if ever mentioned in relation to airgun's, i suppose the lower forces involved means its less likely to be an issue.are the stocks you have an issue with used @ 12 ftlb or on fac power levels?

These are both used on 12 ft. lb. guns. It just takes such a slight amount of movement to mess up the groups. One is a high end after market walnut, but I bought it used from a friend. This friend is well known for not being overly mechanical and I suspect he tried to set the guard deeper into the stock than the way it was made. Being a lefty, I have to work with what I can get.

no avatar
bodger

Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:34 pm

know what you mean, left handed myself,just got a half decent beech (rh) stock for mine and its just left me thinking i may have to convert my old broken and battered right handed to a left but its always a compromise as theyve got a cast.

no avatar
FPoole

Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:49 am

I seem to get on pretty well with a right handed factory beech stock, but when I've got a lefty I feel I should use it. I have a full lefty action and walnut stocked MarkI that's all factory. It has seen a good bit of alteration by a previous FT shooter and it is a solid accurate shooter.