tx calibre swap/conversion.

no avatar
seagate

tx calibre swap/conversion.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:08 pm

I'm wanting a underlever 22, my current mk3 hc tx is 177. So I'm wandering are barrels available and is it a feasible to just swap them over?

no avatar
bodger

Re: tx calibre swap/conversion.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:37 pm

for a mk3 it should be fairly easy to get a barrel try julian on here first if no one else chips in im sure he can set you right,i think you may need a new top hat/piston weight but not sure.

no avatar
seagate

Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:57 pm

I'm also wanting to know if there's a load of Loctite holding the barrel to the shroud , or any other potential niggles?

Not too concerned with internals , it's mostly wanting to know if barrel removal is as straight forward as it at first appears , I'm wondering what attaches the shroud to the barrel.

Thanks Badger. :)

no avatar
bodger

Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:46 pm

from what i remember the hc shroud is loctited on and removing it involved a lot of heat and a fair amount of effort (bit of a pig tbh)you dont need to remove the shroud to get the barrel out so avoid if you can would be my advice.

i think new barrels are usually supplied with a shroud so dont remove yours unless you have to.theres always a danger of marking the shroud if you try to remove it.

getting the barrel out also requires heat as that is also loctited inplace some have used a dowel to tap it out after heating (and removing the nut)i got away with using a gloved hand.

im in the process of doing a mk1 with no shroud atmo and on my thread fpool (who knows these inside out) has given advice on correctly lining it all up on reassembly probably mor important on my unshrouded mk1 barrel but worth looking at anyway.when i did it a few years ago to an hc i didnt do anything but screw it all back together and got away with it but if you were to remove youre shroud you may need to do something similar before you fix it back inplace as it could dictate the fit of the barrel in the maintube.

no avatar
seagate

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:05 pm

It sounds abit more involving than I want to get , I don't want to end up with a pile of scratched metalwork and something that doesn't shoot straight, so i'll give it a miss.

Thanks for advice , much appreciated.