ProSport .177 tuning

no avatar
dazzler

ProSport .177 tuning

Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:50 pm

Hi all,

Not put many pellets thru my new PS, but firing this rifle alongside my HW99s Imp shows it to be just a little less refined than the tuned HW. So i'd like to have it fettled, but being a new PS owner I don't know where my best options are. No experience of stripping rifles myself and not sure if i'm ready to fettle it myself, so is there someone who is recommended for tuning this beauty of a rifle? Or is it that simple I could do it myself? If so, is there anything online, like a step by step guide to doing this?

Thanks in anticipation.

Bobby
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f...... beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back.

Albert Swearengen
Deadwood
Circa 1878

no avatar
gary martin

Re: ProSport .177 tuning

Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:46 pm

let it settle in first. if you still feel it needs a little something, then determine exactly what you want from it. everyone has different tastes in what they want it to feel like, then start evaluating what to do with it.
Gary.

Blackbaronfish

Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:17 am

I would have it stripped down and properly greased up before bedding it in. Then as Martin said get some pellets down it and she what it really needs.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Nick G

Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:28 pm

LESS refined than the HW 's , I find that surprising . I find all the aa springers more refined , the HW's are easier to shoot accurately as standard , but in my opinion a a lot less refined .

no avatar
sherlock1963

Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:18 am

The Pro Sport is a lovely looking rifle and is assumed to be a 'tuned rifle straight from the box' It has MK3 TX200 internals with buttons on the compression tube. The spring/guide/piston/ top-hat and trigger unit are all TX. I have found that the springs tend to compress and expand around the guide making it twang and the CD trigger is usually full of storage/protective grease and set a little 'too safe'. It may feel less refined than an expensively tuned HW.

However .................I find AA springers are much easier to work on than Weihrauch. No need to send away for tuning as there are plenty of home-fit kits. Weihrauchs take twice as long to strip and reassemble.

The CD trigger is simple to strip, clean, polish, reassemble and set your desired first-stage and creep-free release. You can also 'set-back' a standard trigger blade fairly simply and cheaply. The Rekord trigger unit may well be slightly better from the factory but is more awkward to fiddle with at home.
Bullpup TX MK2- TX200SR- NJR100--TX MK1 TX MK3- Pro-Elite - RN10

no avatar
dazzler

Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:01 pm

Nick G wrote:LESS refined than the HW 's , I find that surprising . I find all the aa springers more refined , the HW's are easier to shoot accurately as standard , but in my opinion a a lot less refined .

Yeah it's not quite as nice to shoot. The HW has been stage 1 tuned by Tony at SFS, and it really is impressive. It looks a dog next to the PS, but the firing cycle is wonderful. Not a massive difference between them, but it's noticeable.

If it was to come down to 1 springer only in the collection, at the moment it would be the HW, but I feel there is a little improvement in the PS and was just hoping there was a guru out there who could make me into a `one gun` shooter.

ATB

Bobby
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f...... beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back.

Albert Swearengen
Deadwood
Circa 1878

no avatar
Brother Caleb

Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:39 pm

You need to get NickG to sort out your internals, it will then be a peach to shoot!

no avatar
itmovedhonest

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:57 pm

Hello, There is a YouTube video of a TX200 strip down. The only difference is the extra bolt on PS
Where the cocking lever attaches. No spring compresser needed as preload is very light
I fitted a tinbum derlon ( plastic) spring guide but kept metal top hat
As plastic one reduced power a lot.
Gun is quieter and smoother .
I have had pcps, gas rammers etc but now have a ps and a Walter lgv which has
The same innards. Both out shoot the pcps.
The ps is the best air rifle I have shot and is achingly good looking.