Robert Lane regulator installed in my S410

no avatar
Rocketsuit jim

Re: Robert Lane regulator installed in my S410

Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:39 pm

Thanks Mark,
Really useful info there. Will let you know how mine goes. Will measure shot string first on chrono & look at sound waveform of hammer hitting valve.
Cheers,
Jim

no avatar
Roger Wilco

Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:12 am

I too installed a Robert Lane regulator to my S410 carbine. It doubled the "sweet spot" count from 40 to 80 shots.
I'm now giving serious thought to fitting his anti bounce hammer. The man certainly knows his stuff.

no avatar
Roger Wilco

Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:14 am

P.S. I forgot to mention, mine is .177 flavour.

no avatar
Roger5

Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:36 am

Roger Wilco wrote:I too installed a Robert Lane regulator to my S410 carbine. It doubled the "sweet spot" count from 40 to 80 shots.
I'm now giving serious thought to fitting his anti bounce hammer. The man certainly knows his stuff.

I fitted a Lane anti bounce hammer to my BTAS S510, works fine. Rog

no avatar
Roger Wilco

Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:07 am

Roger5 wrote:
Roger Wilco wrote:I too installed a Robert Lane regulator to my S410 carbine. It doubled the "sweet spot" count from 40 to 80 shots.

I fitted a Lane anti bounce hammer to my BTAS S510, works fine. Rog

Thank you. Sometime in the near future I will be ordering one.

no avatar
Dr B

Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:25 pm

Has anyone explored the benefits from simply stripping, polishing to a mirror finish, lubing and setting up of S410s?
Thats all mine had for its tune up (done by a tuner), with some spring tension tweaks and spacers. I've got 68 shots with a 3fps variability in the sweet spot - maxs at 11.80ft-lbs and never drops below 11.30ft-lbs across an 80 shot test string though the true sweet spot is, as said, 68 shots covering around 170-Bar to 100-Bar (or just below).

I'd say these results compare very favourably and NO need at all for a regulator. The AAs are so well engineered, they rarely need it - unless you're unlucky and get a lemon. Save your money and start with a less invasive tune-up. If that does not work, then fair enough. But I cant help feeling alot of people are wasting their money and going the long way to getting the results they desire.
AA S410 .22, Classic Walnut Thumbhole stock, Hawke 4-12 x 50 Panorama IR/AO/EV
AA S410 .22 Carbine (Cloverleaf Tuned) Walnut stock, Hawke Airmax 30, 4-16 x 50mm IR
AA TX200Hc .22, Walnut stock, Simmons 3-9 x 50mm.

no avatar
Roger5

Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:08 am

Morning Dr B, stripping, polishing to a mirror finish what? Lubing what? Which springs? Tweaking what? where are you putting spacers? I like to learn stuff. Are you doing all this yourself? I have a feeling that you are missing the fun of owning one of these great airrifles, I have an S400 in an MPR stock, it also has a Rowan magazine kit fitted, it dosnt need it, but that's what I wanted to fit to it, and it suits me fine. It has no need of a reg as I fill to 165bar and it's on it's sweet spot and as it's only used for hunting It suits me fine. I use an S510 U/S for benchrest shooting and as such I will be putting a reg in it, this should save me messing about with sweet spots, half the fun of owning an AirArms is that they are a fairly simple rifle to work on, I also play with my Weirauch springers, shortening springs, fitting guides, top hats, spacers, Lubing,etc, a lot of people get a lot of fun out of doing this, me being one of them, basically what I am saying is, if you don't wish to put a reg in your rifle don't! No one is going to force you, apart from that yes they can be made to work absolutely fine with a bit of a clean up of the hammer rail, touch of silicon lube on o rings etc. learn to have fun with your airrifle and allow others to do the same, Happy New Year mate. Rog

no avatar
Dr B

Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:13 am

Roger5 wrote:Morning Dr B, stripping, polishing to a mirror finish what? Lubing what? Which springs? Tweaking what? where are you putting spacers? I like to learn stuff.

Hi Roger.
I can refer you to the fully qualified RFD and AA-tuner who did it if you want. I also spoke to one of the countrys leading PCP tuners (wont name him here) and although he did not work on my gun he also suggested not regging the S410 as a first step and strongly encouraged me to go down the non-regged route. The chap who diod mine has been fully AA trained and does a lot for those on the AGF. I'd be happy to PM you his details and you can chat to him directly. Please note, the performance my gun now gives me matches that posted on here and is superior to some discussions on here from some time ago. I only lose a few shots at the top end of the curve, but I still get around 70 shots - well happy with that and not a regulator in sight.

Are you doing all this yourself? I have a feeling that you are missing the fun of owning one of these great airrifles

No mate, never touch them myself and I'd rather be out in the fields and woods with a unit I know has been looked after by people that know what they are doing.

My only point is a simple one. For the AAS410, I dont feel the argument for a regulator is always well made and other options should be considered first. If those other options dont give you the performance you need, then fair enough, reg it but now you have evidence that this might be the only route. As you say, they are easy to work on - which is an argument for going down the non-regged route first. Both my S410K and S410 Classic give me 3fps variation in the sweet spot for 70 and 85 shots respectively. No regulator data I have ever seen beats that variation for these rifles. Yes I could squeeze more shots, for more expense and fitting units that can fail - but this performance is all I need for my hunting. ;)

PS - there is no messing about with sweetspots once you know what to fill to and what to stop at - simples.

Happy new year to you as well mate!
Best
DrB
AA S410 .22 Carbine (Cloverleaf Tuned) Walnut stock, Hawke Airmax 30, 4-16 x 50mm IR

Sake-san

Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:33 pm

A very happy new year to you Dr B
Many of us are still patiently awaiting your book, you teased us last year by confirming it was finished ;) (but, not finally proofed)
When do you predict the publishing might happen, be great to see a new book available.
Do keep us updated, please...
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10-50x60
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10x42
TX200 test / analysis gun

no avatar
Dr B

Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:09 pm

Hey Man

That's very kind of you and thank you for the kind support. The book itself is more or less done. I can always think of adding this or that, but to be honest as far as I'm concerned only needs a polish now and some extra pictures for some illustration that I'll get this year. I'm in no rush or hurry - but please do keep prodding me. AAs feature in the book as these days thats all I shoot though I do also pay homage to the HW80, Webley Vulcan, and Webley Longbow.... ;)

Once again, thanks for the interest. Very much appreciated as you can often get a bit dizzy with a large project like that!