Newbie TX200HC fettling

no avatar
Pete236

Newbie TX200HC fettling

Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:19 pm

Evening all.
I've recently come by a TX 200HC mk3. I've never had a proper springer, only a cheap Remington that was a birthday pressie a few years ago. So, I really don't know what I'm doing with it.
I put a dozen shots through it today (nosey neighbours means noise is an issue!) and it felt quite vicious in the shoulder - at least compared to my S410.

Everything in the action was covered in gloopy gungy grease, and the previous owner had set the trigger to a vague sloppy mess, so I've stripped everything down and cleaned the gunk off.
I've also stripped the trigger down, lightly faced and polished the sears and set it to a nice crisp feel like the S410.
A new set of seals and a main spring is on it's way from Chambers, might as well start with everything in good condition.

When it comes to de-burring and polishing the internals, where do I start? And how far do I go? Can the piston or compression tube be polished too much?

I restore vintage cars for a living so I've a bit of machining and engineering knowledge, but all I know about springers is from taking the TX apart!
Any advice will be very greatfully received.
Pete.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Re: Newbie TX200HC fettling

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:24 am

Naturally a springer will feel very different to a S410 but have you checked it on a chrono? If he put in a stronger spring it may not be legal.

Blackbaronfish

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:49 am

Also see if the spring fits the comp sleeve. Tinbum makes a nice drop in kit. If you order one,give Nick a ring and tell him what spring you have as he may make a custom size.
Use the artillery hold whist letting everything bed in

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Pete236

Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:35 am

Cheers chaps.
I've not chronoed it yet, quite literally only put a dozen shots through. I could see the internals were covered in gunk so my 1st action was always going to be a clean up and fettle.
The new standard spring and bits will be here tomorrow with any luck, so will be able to play in a lunchtime this week I hope.

no avatar
gary martin

Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:47 pm

IMHO no point in polishing the comp tube. You have done what the basics in a good de grease, I hope you have lubed properly, high quality lube of PTFE or Moly base. The trigger polish is also worth while. I would say shoot it now, let it settle, and then decide if you wish to pursue it further, what some like others don't. If you get the chance to shoot a retuned one do so, if you like that tune, go down that route, if you don't, another route. You can not justify a route to take if you do not know which way to go.
Gary.

no avatar
Pete236

Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:27 pm

Thanks Gary, that does sound like a good plan!
I hope postie will bring the seal and spring tomorrow, I'm itching to get cracking!
Is it worth facing and polishing the spring ends?
I will re-lube with the stuff provided from Chambers. I do have some left over from putting a Welsh Willy kit in the Remington, but I don't know how good that would be.
I will just follow the instructions from Chambers and see what happens!

no avatar
Pete236

Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:29 pm

Are these standard internals? I'm guessing they are but it is only a guess!

Imagescreen capture

no avatar
gary martin

Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:54 pm

A polish of the spring ends is worth while. I used a piece of glass as a flat surface, 240 grit wet/dry paper and autosol. The lube that you have that came with the WW kit is prob Moly, so yes it should be suitable. Less is more.
Gary.

no avatar
Pete236

Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:23 pm

Cheers Gary.
I will compare the WW lube with the Chambers lube and see which feels the better quality.
I must confess to having had a play with the Autosol tonight. Nothing serious, just a rub and buff of all moving parts.
I'm looking forward to getting stuck into the new spring, I'll use the surface plate at work in my lunch hour.
Thanks again.

no avatar
Pete236

Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:13 pm

So, the bits from Chambers arrived at last!!
Flatted and polished the main spring ends in my lunch break (i eat too much anyway!)
Popped down the shed this evening (brrr) and assembled the beastie.

So I have lightly polished all the internals and removed any burrs (very few!)
Flatted and polished the main spring ends. Faced and polished the trigger sears. Fitted new o rings to the compression chamber, fitted a new standard piston seal. Lightly sanded the edges of the piston seal so it wasn't such a tight fit in the compression chamber.
Lubed everything up with the grease and oil supplied from Chambers.

Cocking is a million times easier, it's virtually effortless.
I've only put 2 pellets into the ground, but the firing cycle is much smoother, less recoil and less aggressive. But there is a huge amount of spring twang. I added more grease to the ends of the spring to see if it would deaden it, but it didn't work so I will clean a bit of grease off.

I've ordered a TBT drop in kit to try and deaden the twang, I will also check the clearance between the spring and compression tube and see what can be done to reduce any metal on metal contact.
Tomorrow lunchtime will be straight onto the Chrono as the new spring is about 1/2" longer than the old one.

It is a lovely beastie to work on, it's always a joy to handle something that's well thought out and nicely engineered.