Hi, newbie to the forum

no avatar
stecorr

Hi, newbie to the forum

Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:20 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and air arms but not too shooting. Been out of the game for nigh on twenty years up until last year when I bought a crappy little plinker off a pal for shooting targets. The bug grew again so decided to treat myself to a pro sport in .22 as I always found .177 difficult to manage.
First impressions of the pro sport
Positives:
Amazing looking rifle, never seen a stock on a rifle like it thats less than a monkey before and the blueing!!!!!! my god
build quality, best I've ever seen on a springer without doubt
accuracy-shooting pencils at 17 yards practically straight out of the box(nice one pellpax)
compact (which I like as always been a carbine shooter personally)
noise, love the barrel shroud

Negatives
Weight
sharpness of the roll over (like a bloody stanley knife)
inability to reset the safety????really wtf as a hunter, this has suprised me immensely

Personal verdict, expensive rifle but very happy with it and before anyone says should have go ta tx, I know this but I had to employ some kidology here as my mrs knew I had the old break barrel so I had to purchase something similar looking. I told her I had bought a new stock for my old rifle and got away with it :D so far anyway.

Anyway, aiming to speak to the dump managers along the grand union over the next couple of weeks so hopefully get in some ratting. Already contacted some of the local fisheries that I frequent but theres a waiting list. Any tips greatly appreciated for chances around Isleworth, Richmond, Twickenham.

Happy hunting, and nice to meet you all

no avatar
Outandabout

Re: Hi, newbie to the forum

Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:00 pm

Welcome to the AAOC
I hope the permission seeking pays off for you.
Kevin

no avatar
stecorr

Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:10 pm

Cheers Kevin, not holding my breath on the permissions to be honest as no longer get drive due to a medical condition so quite limited. At least I can get shut of the ferals and rats in work so that's something

Blackbaronfish

Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:20 pm

Welcome to the AAOC.
Start looking for the pests then find the owner of the land.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:28 pm

Hello and welcome :D
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:43 pm

Is it still advisable to get third party insurance for a permission , eg join BASC?

no avatar
Outandabout

Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:07 pm

I would always have insurance for shooting. Even if it were on a range. Accidents happen, so protect yourself.
It also looks good to permission owners :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .
Kevin

no avatar
stecorr

Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:13 pm

That's my plan, join base, write a few letters and see what happens. Had 3 ferals and missed a rate today so fairly pleased with the afternoon. There's a food factory on the estate where I work so we are literally over run. Once the weather gets better, I'll post an invite for upto 3 "guns. Works near Croydon so let me know if anyone es interested march/April. Prefer to shoot with fellow springers if possible as pcp just make me jealous :(

no avatar
itmovedhonest

Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:25 am

Hello, pros port a great gun. Not sure about not being able to reset safety?
I simply recock the lever and the safety button pops back out.

Can be hard to get permissions. I went pheasant beating and got the squirrel
control job from the keeper.

Try people with horses. Rabbit holes in paddocks are nightmare for them.
Explain that your gun is silent as many people don't know what an air rifle really is.

Another good one is poultry farms for rats and squirrels.

Good luck and keep enjoying it

no avatar
stecorr

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:00 pm

Thanks for the responses.

thanks about the safety, read it on a historical post but I was dubious about doing this just in case there are any ill effects but of you guys thinks its ok then I'm happy to give it a go. Luckily enough, I live near Osterley park and there is a stables just off the grounds. Its overun with bunnies so I'll go and try and charm the lease holder. I should count myself lucky really as I run a large stageing comapny and we have premises circa 50,000 ft2 right next to the river wandle so you can imagine the amount of vermin we get here. I do like shooting for the pot so will miss my days spent in the conwy valley after woodies, bunnies and squirrels but you cant have everything in life I suppose