Got my modified trigger blade installed

no avatar
FPoole

Got my modified trigger blade installed

Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:38 am

Didn't have any time to really give it a workout, but I can now get a very light let off and still have the trigger reset after the first stage is taken up then released. Always had the dangling first stage if you get down to a couple of ounces, but it now springs right back and still has the light pull. In the end, it probably isn't worth it to me. I'll just set them light and let the first stage dangle. I always take up the first stage and hold it until I fire. On the other hand, if you are a first stage pumper like many I've seen, this mod may be for you. JB Weld is not the way to go, but it works good enough. I would like to find a way to fill the adjuster screw holes with actual aluminum because the drill bit wants to wander off target and cut towards the softer epoxy. I wonder if Air Arms would ever consider changing the angle on the adjuster screws just a little bit. My rear second stage screw strikes the bottom sear about where the original first stage screw touched, so there's more leverage. I seem to detect the first stage may be as heavy or heavier than the original which makes no sense, but I did crank up the weight of pull a full turn or more. This is why it will reset and still feel light at the break due to the added leverage. I will let you all know how it goes with a little more testing.

Blackbaronfish

Re: Got my modified trigger blade installed

Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:16 am

Sounds like you've found the right combination. I like a light second stage and a floppy less first :oops:
Though I would say the standard setup is ok for in the field.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
FPoole

Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:07 pm

Had a a little more time to shoot and tweak. The trigger is better than the factory set up for sure. I can take up the first stage and really tap the the second stage against the sear. It just has that nice click, but no way will it walk through the second stage and fire by accident. This was always something that can happen if you set the trigger too light, but I have a nice positive second stage even though it is down to a couple of ounces on the break. Bottom line is if it is worth the effort. Maybe not, but I had the time on my hands and it was actually fun. I think I will try Nick G's method on the next one. He just moves the trigger pivot towards the screws.

Blackbaronfish

Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:37 pm

Nick is a clever lad for sure. He has a few tx's that shoot sweet.
When he gets going and starts talking to the geeks its total mesmerizing 8-)

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
FPoole

Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:52 pm

I'll just have to figure out how to get a nice polished hole in just the exact size for the trigger pivot pin. Even an extremely slightly larger hole will result in a lot of side play on the blade.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:36 pm

All the reamers on Ebay seem to be whole numbers of mm ie 2 or 3mm. So if you are lucky and the pin is 2 or 3 mm you can ream it. A sliding fit on a trigger only5mm wide without slack needs 100th mm accuracy. In the factory they will use a drill a tad undersize and have a reamer ground to spec.

Having said that, my S400 trigger is sloppy from new!

no avatar
FPoole

Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:53 am

The reamers I've seen are very expensive. Too much for the amount I would use them, but they are a highly accurate tool and thus require exacting tolerances.