Pressure washer

Blackbaronfish

Pressure washer

Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:02 pm

A great day to clean up the patio so I thought. The Karcher K2 was going good for all of five minutes when the pressure stopped and the motor continued. A strip down revealed the plastic gears had all mangled up.
I've had this for a few years and have had my money's worth,so I'm not out of pocket.

Looking on the internet I see quite a lot of karchers break down just after warranty,and further investigations point to pressure washers with metal gears at three times the price.
Know what would you do.
A ... Buy another K2
B ... Buy a k4 at 3 x the price is water cooled but still has plastic gears.
C ... Look for another make that has metal gears.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
gary martin

Re: Pressure washer

Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:05 pm

for my money, look at other brands. they may still have plastic gears, but may be more cost effective, Big K sells on brand marketing, if others suffer the same fate as yours, thats it's life. if they made them last forever the business would collapse.

Timmytree

Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:46 pm

Buy a scrubbing brush and get the Mrs down on her hands and knees while you supervise. Clean patio and marital harmony restored! :mrgreen:

no avatar
Outandabout

Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:08 pm

Look on the screwfix web site at the Nilfisk range of presure washers. Offer on at the moment for a 1.4kw air cooled 110bar pressure wash for £75. I have 1 and cannot fault it for work around the house and washing the cars. I would not pay a fortune for something that i would not use that often.
Kevin

james79

Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:13 pm

Outandabout wrote:Look on the screwfix web site at the Nilfisk range of presure washers. Offer on at the moment for a 1.4kw air cooled 110bar pressure wash for £75. I have 1 and cannot fault it for work around the house and washing the cars. I would not pay a fortune for something that i would not use that often.
Kevin

+1 on the nilfisk recommendation, we use an industrial model of theirs at work and whilst it's likely to be just a tad over budget for domestic use ;) the build quality etc hopefully filters down to the more basic models. One thing that is probably worth mentioning is to not get too hung up on looking for the model that gives the highest psi output, with power washers (especially cold water only versions) ltrs/min count for a lot more than a higher psi :)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool

Raj

Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:59 am

Can vouch for Nilfisk, an ancient Danish mark that has been well respected in industrial circles for a long time. I bought some of their industrial equipment to clean Sain-Gobain Isovers's glass factory in Runcorn after a gut and rebuild.
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

no avatar
Outandabout

Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:02 am

The 1 i have is 440ltr/hr water throughput. I Dont know if this is goood or bad but it does what i want.
Kevin

Targe

Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:05 pm

Argos as this one on offer at the moment
Nilfisk Compact 130 Pressure Washer
Item number 455/1036

£109. 99

My Karcher was still running last time i checked :shock:

no avatar
granville

Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:07 pm

nilfisk for me ,my karcher died .

no avatar
Pat g

Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:37 pm

Blackbaronfish wrote:A great day to clean up the patio so I thought. The Karcher K2 was going good for all of five minutes when the pressure stopped and the motor continued. A strip down revealed the plastic gears had all mangled up.
I've had this for a few years and have had my money's worth,so I'm not out of pocket.

Looking on the internet I see quite a lot of karchers break down just after warranty,and further investigations point to pressure washers with metal gears at three times the price.
Know what would you do.
A ... Buy another K2
B ... Buy a k4 at 3 x the price is water cooled but still has plastic gears.
C ... Look for another make that has metal gears.

BBF

Hi Ray,
I got my Karcher from here www.karcheroutlet.co.uk. End of line and refurbished Karchers with warranty mate. Worth a look. I can also vouch for Nilfisk. Quality. Defo worth a look on the Karcher outlet though. Substantial savings on new prices. Hope this helps ;)
ATB,
Pat
Ceaser Guerini Magnus Sporter 12g
Beretta Urika 2 12g Auto
243 howa 1500, 3-12x50 Zeiss, Wildcat mod
Sako Finfire 22lr
CZ 452 Varmint 17HMR
AA S410 carbine 177
HW 77k SFS stage 2 177