IPhone Target Shooting App (ShotBuddy)

no avatar
GriffyGriff

IPhone Target Shooting App (ShotBuddy)

Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:25 am

Hi All

Really quite pleased with this one. After a long time writing and testing this iPhone application, Apple have agreed to put it on their App Store site. Just search for "ShotBuddy" to have a look.

This allows you to maintain a list of guns (as most airgunners have a few guns on the go).
Once you select your target from a list of predefined ISSF & NRA variant targets, you can then record your shots by tapping on the screen. This will calculate your accuracy % and average CTC in either mm or inches. It also records the distance shot and the shooting position used, together with free format text for you to add more notes against the shooting session.

It will then store all saved sessions by gun, so you can track your progress and then display:
1. A Shot-String Graph.
2. A Pistol Correction Chart overlayed on the target which can help analyse common shooting issues.

The nice thing about this is also the ability to email screenshot results.

Please have a look and let me know your thoughts.

Regards

Peter

gdavison

Re: IPhone Target Shooting App (ShotBuddy)

Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:04 pm

I am sure you are dreading the expected "Any plans for an Android version " ? :)
AA FTP900, AA HFT500, AA S510, FWB-800FT

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:51 pm

Any plans for an Android version?

Blackbaronfish

Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:56 pm

TenMetrePeter wrote:Any plans for an Android version?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ....I just got my first iphone ;)

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:19 pm

Hello Peter. not sure how many people on this forum would use NSRA targets regularly. OK I do but you may get more interest in targettalk.org
personally I use a spreadsheet on my phone that keeps a running average.
what if my finger jab is as bad as my shooting?
I used to use Targetscan which is the app to beat unless yours is free. Stopped using it as when I went to 5 diagram targets like my avatar I had to photo every shot. If you can develop an app for Mac and Windoze that will scan cards using desktop scanner then you will have made a name in shooting circles.

I will try a droid version when its out.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:49 pm

Actually I just found it in App Store. It isnt free!

no avatar
GriffyGriff

Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:04 pm

Hi TenMetrePeter and all,

Thanks for your feedback and yes I will have a look at multi-targets on the one page.
(That will take some time and thought as my targets are code driven to keep memory down and also I would have to devise a way that understands when you have missed target #1 and shot really close to target #2, as opposed to doing that intentionally etc).

I also have a Remove button which removes your last shot and recalculates accuracy & CTC, To allow for "Finger Press Errors".

I also had to consider the American market so that's why I allow you to toggle measurements from metric/imperial and have a selection of NRA targets.

I did consider doing a Free (less functional) version with in-App purchases, but felt that the things that set this apart was the ability to maintain a list of guns and store your shooting sessions by gun and newer dates first. So if I hived this off, then it would make the Free version quite weak and that is why I priced it under the competition too.

But all valid points, thanks.

It's the first release and i'm sure i'm going to build on it.

no avatar
pelletcaster

Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:48 pm

Just wondering how we could come so far without all those apps?

So - lads,
MY way is not going to fiddle around with all that scrap and loosing valuable time.
Just go out and keep shooting.
Live is a journey - not a destination.
-----------------------------------------
AA TX200 HC / LGU Master / LGV-CU / HW35 / HW50s (1974) / HW50S (2015) / HW90 / DIANA 34 T01
DS MK4iS-S / SPA P-12 / CZ200S-Green

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:28 pm

pelletcaster wrote:Just wondering how we could come so far without all those apps?

So - lads,
MY way is not going to fiddle around with all that scrap and loosing valuable time.
Just go out and keep shooting.

Quite agree. It was taking me 20 minutes to scan in the cards I just took 20 minutes to shoot!
The only records I am obliged to keep is an average score out of 100, for entry into competitions, and that is in the scorers books anyway but I use the spreadsheet as backup.
I did try a free shooting app once for record keeping but it wouldn't allow me to enter a score as low as mine - elitist bar-stewards!

Raj

Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:42 pm

Damn ...... There i was, expecting targets that were Iphones :evil:
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"