Giving up the sport and selling all my rifles and kit

no avatar
Big Dog

Giving up the sport and selling all my rifles and kit

Thu May 21, 2015 10:51 pm

Sadly, after 28 years as an avid fan of air rifle shooting, I am giving up and selling all of my rifles and kit. I've accrued quite a collection of rifles over the years, FX, Air Arms, Daystate and Weihrauch are all represented in my gun cabinet. I love nothing more than half a day out at the range, zeroing and trying to better my last shots. Sadly though, my collection of air rifles has seen little use since my move to Somerset, as quite simply, there is nowhere to go and shoot here. Earlier in the week I drove back up to Hertfordshire and enjoyed a great days shooting at one of the many ranges that can be found dotted all over London and the Home Counties. How strange it seems that in the busy, built up heart of the city metro-pole that is called London, there are shooting ranges galore that can be easily accessed and enjoyed, and yet down here in the rural landscape of the Somerset Levels, there is absolutely nowhere even half decent to go and shoot your air rifle for the day. You would have thought that there would be far more opportunities/places to shoot in a very rural environment than there is in and around the large, busy, noisy cities of London and the Home Counties. There seems no point at all in having air rifles if I have nowhere to shoot them regularly. So, once I've taken some photographs, I'll be advertising all my rifles/kit for sale on here over the next few weeks. :(

no avatar
Gixxerboy

Re: Giving up the sport and selling all my rifles and kit

Thu May 21, 2015 11:28 pm

Not thought about pest control and doing a bit of door knocking?

Geordie

Fri May 22, 2015 2:04 am

That is a pity BD :(

I hope you return when/if the opportunity of a shoot might happen. ;)
AA s410K .177
BSA R10 .177 Super carbine. (Blacky)

Blackbaronfish

Fri May 22, 2015 5:18 am

I bet you keep one :mrgreen: 8-)

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Fri May 22, 2015 6:17 am

sorry too hear that.....hang on too your favourite rifle sod`s law says as soon as you sell them all you`ll find somewhere too shoot.
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
Big Dog

Fri May 22, 2015 8:27 am

Yep, I've done lots of door knocking. Not too interested in pest control as I only want to shoot targets, but have offered it. The landowners in and around the village I live in seem to be a real 'funny lot'. Most seem to be related in one sense or another, all those I have tried to speak with are miserable as sin and don't want to know, very few of them are approachable. It's almost as if the edict around here is that until you've been in the village for 20 years, you're a 'newcomer' and don't count.

I'll more than likely keep my S410 - but only because it's very very old and is worth virtually nothing. Will sadly start to post the rest of my kit in the for sale section, hopefully over the weekend.

no avatar
zippy

Fri May 22, 2015 12:27 pm

Sorry to hear that your selling up Big Dog..... :(

With having so many nice rifles and been an air-gunner for 28,years it would be such a shame for you to give up the hobby.

I think you have the bug for air gunning, fair few people have given up and have returned to the hobby at later date. you may return at some point, strange though you were only asking about the new FX Bobcat the other day. in mind of wanting to buy one.

Hope you still continue to come on the AA forum for a chat. Who? knows your circumstance's may change.

Kind regards Mick.
Air Arms tx200hc, mtc taipan, 4-16X50
Air Arms tx200hc, falcon menace, 4-14x44 FFP
Air Arms Pro-sport, mtc mamber
Air Arms TDR, falcon menace 10x44
HW 100t falcon menace 4-14X44 FFP
HW 100t richer optics
HW 97KT
HW 45 Geordie custom grips
Alecto

Timmytree

Fri May 22, 2015 1:39 pm

Don't be too hasty Paul, I heard earlier this week that the Mendip owners are planning to rebuild the ranges and bring them more up to date. I agree about the village landowners though!

no avatar
Jinx

Fri May 22, 2015 4:37 pm

It's certainly hard work getting permission, keep at it, once you get one you will end up with more than enough in no time ;)

no avatar
Outandabout

Fri May 22, 2015 9:39 pm

Hi Big Dog,
dont be to hasty to sell up. I was in a similar mood not to long ago, although I had permissions I could not be bothered about getting out there. Plenty advice from people on this forum helped stop me selling up and re- find the enjoyment of using my guns again. Like Timmy said wait a while and see what happens with the mendip owners. The guns are not costing you nothing so another couple of weeks/months may make all the difference.
Is there no way you could set up your own targets to keep you interested.
Hope it ends well
Kevin