sore shoulders & sawdust!

no avatar
wastrel

sore shoulders & sawdust!

Fri May 01, 2015 5:58 pm

took nearly a week to get my `puter serviced & the pics uploaded, last Friday I`d a day off work (or so I thought) the boss had other ideas, an ash stump has been driving us mad since the 30-40ft tree was dropped in 2010, council contractors left us with a 4ft stump, 2 chainsaws, several blades later we had about 20/22 inch stump, 5ft across shrugging off all my efforts at shifting it- chainsaw & reciprocating saw both foiled by stones inside the roots destroying blades on touch :evil:
it laughed at my attempt to burn it (too wet-even after 5 years) finally, it met it`s nemesis
Rayco RG13 II stumpgrinder, Oh Yes boys, this beast`ll do the biz, trust me!
the boss was quickly on hand to share her extensive knowledge of industrial plant hire & use of :roll:
meanwhile, I got on with it
if you use one of these be warned, this is not a light or easy machine to use, I`d recommend roping in a mate.
4 1/2 hours later, we`d no stump, but 17 bin bags of sawdust went to the local waste recycling yard.
a week later my shoulders still ache, but, hey, the stump is gone at last, Phew!
this made me laugh so I`m gonna include it, this is what`s left
edit:- if you use one of these or anything like it, make sure the hire Co includes goggles or galsses (I`ll leave that in, it made me smile when I saw what I`d typed!) ear plugs- not for noise, this one`s a 4 stroke & not too bad really, & a mask-or keep your mouth closed, trust me guys, the sawdust flew high & wide & everywhere!
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

no avatar
wastrel

Re: sore shoulders & sawdust!

Fri May 01, 2015 6:21 pm

I think this`ll give you a better idea of the mess/sawdust created last week, also I`d to remove part of my existing fencing & ended up using it as a base for the machine, worked fine after the machine kept getting bogged down in the 6" deep of sawdust!
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

darran77

Fri May 01, 2015 9:05 pm

Now that's a stump muncher and a half , my neighbour had some connifers in the garden he wanted rid of, i told him to leave about 5ft so we could have some leaverage.
Next time i looked he had cut them all off at the base, so it looks like a stump muncher will be what he needs too.
daz
IFAC member

no avatar
VEG

Fri May 01, 2015 10:04 pm

I feel ya pain im a tree surgeon by trade and do this regularly, the easiest way to ease the shoulders is to get the young lads to do it lol

Raj

Fri May 01, 2015 10:25 pm

darran77 wrote:Now that's a stump muncher and a half , my neighbour had some connifers in the garden he wanted rid of, i told him to leave about 5ft so we could have some leaverage.
Next time i looked he had cut them all off at the base, so it looks like a stump muncher will be what he needs too.
daz

If it is conifers you are after getting rid of .... here is a true story.
We had 18 conifers along a fence that we wanted getting rid of. A local "Tree Surgeon" gave us a quote for £100 per tree. "Yeah right" I said to myself. A couple pf weeks later, my farmer friend Stan arrived to ask us if we were going to place an order for the beef he grows on his land. After we had done the deed (we get a load off him every year - he gets it slaughtered, butchered and hung himself and it is to die for)), I mentioned the leylandi to him. "How much?" said I. "You can keep coming and clearing up my rabbits in return" said he.

He turned up the next weekend with his land rover and long chain. We looped the chain round the trunk of each tree and they came out at the rate of 1 tree every 2-3 minutes. Another farmer offered his dumper trailer - we loaded it all on between us and the wood went towards the annual Bon fire night blaze. I supplied the whisky. :)

The have very shallow roots that will come out if you pull sideways. ;)
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

no avatar
GrandadG

Sat May 02, 2015 6:30 pm

Raj wrote:
darran77 wrote:Now that's a stump muncher and a half , my neighbour had some connifers in the garden he wanted rid of, i told him to leave about 5ft so we could have some leaverage.
daz

If it is conifers you are after getting rid of .... here is a true story.
We had 18 conifers along a fence that we wanted getting rid of. A local "Tree Surgeon" gave us a quote for £100 per tree. "Yeah right" I said to myself. A couple pf weeks later, my farmer friend Stan arrived to ask us if we were going to place an order for the beef he grows on his land. After we had done the deed (we get a load off him every year - he gets it slaughtered, butchered and hung himself and it is to die for)), I mentioned the leylandi to him. "How much?" said I. "You can keep coming and clearing up my rabbits in return" said he.

He turned up the next weekend with his land rover and long chain. We looped the chain round the trunk of each tree and they came out at the rate of 1 tree every 2-3 minutes. Another farmer offered his dumper trailer - we loaded it all on between us and the wood went towards the annual Bon fire night blaze. I supplied the whisky. :)

The have very shallow roots that will come out if you pull sideways. ;)

I'll second that Raj,
i pulled 6 out from my garden with my ML320 before i sold it......1/2 hr and all done :D
But then a day of cutting up and stacking to burn......... when the wind is in the right direction.........away from the road and neighours houses :)
HW100T .177
AA Prosport .177
AA S200 .177 Huma Reg

Raj

Sat May 02, 2015 8:55 pm

As the saying goes ... it is not about what you know, it is all about who you know :)
That said, we have a cracking community spirit in the village and we all help each other out. :D

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Sat May 02, 2015 8:56 pm

Raj wrote:As the saying goes ... it is not about what you know, it is all about who you know :)
That said, we have a cracking community spirit in the village and we all help each other out. :D

also the swingers parties are brilliant :D :D
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

Raj

Sat May 02, 2015 9:04 pm

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh .... :twisted:

darran77

Mon May 04, 2015 9:38 pm

Cheers guys, the trees or what is left of them is his problem as i did say leave a good 4 ft, not 4" sticking out of the ground.
the garden is totally enclosed appart from a little access round the back of the garages so no chance of a tractor or anything in the yard.
But my idea was to drive in a couple of ground anchors and fit the block and tackle, i have used it before with great success.
Farmers are allways on the look out for a deal, and if theres a chance of a few pound notes on their hands they are very eager,
and if they can get a job done in return (sorting out a few bunnies) they are happy.
daz
IFAC member