Hornady cases.

no avatar
Gixxerboy

Hornady cases.

Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:45 pm

Anyone else had any problems with split cases from Hornady?

I bought a box of 50 as that's what I've been using in the HMR but this was his last box and they were blue tipped whereas the ones I've been using were red tipped. Anyway after shooting a few I had a pick up and noticed that a couple were split. The groups were a bit erratic to say the least but I carried on. On the 15th shot there was the dreaded click, then nothing. I waited for 30 seconds or so then slowly retracted the bolt to eject and caught the ejected shell and it was still full of powder. Removed the bolt and the bullet was still in the breach. BUGGER!!!!

Well I collected all the empty shells and looked through them to find out of the 15 I'd fired seven were split. I then emptied the rest out of the box to check them and out of the remaining thirty five thirteen of them were already split.

Will be going back to the shop tomorrow... :( :( :(

Blackbaronfish

Re: Hornady cases.

Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:11 pm

The blue tips are the old stock as they were using them up first followed by the red tips. CCI make all the HMR rounds except Winchester as they make their own. I only had Winchester split on me but had no squib rounds.
You was very lucky you spotted it :o .

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Gixxerboy

Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:11 pm

I didn't know the blue ones were old stock till today Ray. Thought as I'd been using the red ones before that the blue ones must be new ones.. :roll: :roll:

Like you say it was a lucky spot cos there was another 2 rounds in the mag still to go in. Dread to think what would have happened if I'd chambered another and fired.. :o :o

Blackbaronfish

Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:11 am

You may get some that the tips look brown. Once you rub a cloth over them they go red again :?
I only had one box of Winchester that were a little louder in the chamber and produced cracks on the neck. You will also see that they dirty the barrel one hell of a lot.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Gixxerboy

Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:25 pm

Because this was the last box of Hornady I also got two boxes of Winchesters to try. So far they seem ok.