old school manners

no avatar
wastrel

old school manners

Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:48 am

Was not best pleased when we'd to cut our break short cos the boss' aunt had come up from buck'shire with her new partner, both of them having lost their respective partners, she wanted us all to meet him, Gus, 40 years in the navy, was a commander or lieutenant back in the day, now retired, I was a bit daunted at the thought.
on meeting him he seemed very articulate, polite & spoke at length to each of us, about our careers, lifes etc. Watching the man move his seat around the room to speak to my in laws, wife son & daughter and show a genuine interest in our answers, my father in law is ex navy too & produced books of the ships & tours he'd served in & they of course hit it right off. Gus took time to look through them & identified a fair few names he recognised, it was supposed to be about an hours visit as they'd others to visit, 3 hours later, waving them off, feeling better for just meeting the man, I was reminded of being a gentleman, & manners,
old school manners.
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

no avatar
Phil B

Re: old school manners

Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:58 pm

Good stuff. I served in the Royal Air Force for a long time and still am involved with the air cadets. I often make the point to youngsters that they should not dismiss or scorn the 'old duffers' in the street because they have no idea what they did or what happened to them over their many years.

no avatar
wastrel

Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:21 pm

Phil B wrote:Good stuff. I served in the Royal Air Force for a long time and still am involved with the air cadets. I often make the point to youngsters that they should not dismiss or scorn the 'old duffers' in the street because they have no idea what they did or what happened to them over their many years.

thanks Phil, what I meant in the post guys, was not to rub anyone on here the wrong way, but that I`d been given a lesson in manners, for all I know perhaps Gus had plans for that weekend & been dragged alll the way up here by car, from Buckinghamshire by his partner, & was the perfect gent toward me & mine,
appologies if it came across as any kind of dig on here, not what I meant at all!
FWIW I`ve looked at the other airgun forums, none of them can hold a candle to AAOC for just that-manners & how we post on here!
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

no avatar
Phil B

Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:16 pm

It didn't come across as a dig, it gave someone due credit for their manner and manners!