Rat attacking a hedge sparrow

no avatar
Outandabout

Rat attacking a hedge sparrow

Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:08 pm

Hi all
I was "working" in the garden today, tidying up bits and pieces and just enjoying the day. There was a pair of hedge sparrows under the conifers, a couple of bluetits on the feeders which i was watching, suddenly a rat appeared from under the fence and seemed to be watching the sparrows. Suddenly it rushed at one of the sparrows narrowly missing it.
I know rats take eggs and young birds out of the nest but have never heard of them actually attacking larger birds.
It was definitely a rat and it definately ran at the bird. Has anybody else seen or heard anything like this.
Kevin

Blackbaronfish

Re: Rat attacking a hedge sparrow

Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:14 pm

Was it trying to beat it to food :shock: :shock:

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
FPoole

Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:51 am

I did see a large rat run out from under the hood of my truck last week. He went straight into a pen occupied by a 90 lb. pitbull/ mastiff mix. The rat didn't make it, but the look on the dogs face was priceless. Very perplexed to say the least. I have seen gray squirrels toss baby birds out of nests.

no avatar
Outandabout

Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:22 am

I dont think it was trying to beat it to any food. There may have been something on the ground under the feeders but i dont think it was after the food on the ground.
Kevin

no avatar
granville

Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:13 pm

seen rats run out too the feeders when small birds are feeding they scatter quickly .
but never seen it go for the birds but it could well do if they got the chance.