Revolutionary War

no avatar
FPoole

Revolutionary War

Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:59 pm

I was talking to an African American friend Saturday. I told him that I thought some of the U.K. folks on the airgun forums were not so fond of Americans. We concluded it must have it's roots in the late war. He then asked me if I was still mad about the U.S. Civil war. My answer was a definite yes, even though I wasn't directly involved. He then asks how do I think he feels. He says that if it wasn't for us, he could be over in Africa chasing lions. I told him he'd more likely be a pile of lion crap. As far as the Revolutionary War, I'm convinced that England pretty much cut it's losses and went home. The greatest military power in the world, at that time, would have been able to wipe the floor with the U.S. if we are all honest. I think England had too many irons in the fire at that time. I was a bit amazed at how bitter my friend seemed over the slavery thing considering that he'd never been a slave or even close.

no avatar
Ducat

Re: Revolutionary War

Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:35 am

People have long memories.

I'm still annoyed by the Normans!

Blackbaronfish

Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:15 am

FPoole wrote:I was talking to an African American friend Saturday. I told him that I thought some of the U.K. folks on the airgun forums were not so fond of Americans. We concluded it must have it's roots in the late war. He then asked me if I was still mad about the U.S. Civil war. My answer was a definite yes, even though I wasn't directly involved. He then asks how do I think he feels. He says that if it wasn't for us, he could be over in Africa chasing lions. I told him he'd more likely be a pile of lion crap. As far as the Revolutionary War, I'm convinced that England pretty much cut it's losses and went home. The greatest military power in the world, at that time, would have been able to wipe the floor with the U.S. if we are all honest. I think England had too many irons in the fire at that time. I was a bit amazed at how bitter my friend seemed over the slavery thing considering that he'd never been a slave or even close.

You both weren't there :| I think its passion sent down from generation to generation

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

Raj

Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:25 pm

I'm still mad at the Brits for plundering India ............ from 1612 to 1947!

Kidding !!! We love you guys :P If it wasn't for your fish and chips and real ale which is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much tastier than our Indian stuff, we would have seen you off centuries ago :lol: :lol: :lol: Now then, where did I leave that glass of IPA ? :twisted:
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

no avatar
wastrel

Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:20 pm

jesus Raj, this post hits so many nerves I dunno where to start, Braveheart the movie, (bear with me here guys) apparantley had scottish guys leaving the cinema looking for english people to attack!- I didn`t get it?
I watched 12 years a slave, I told my wife, if I was an african american I`d be in prison right now for murder- the way those people were treated- & right up into the 1960`s too, jesus H, I was BORN in the 60's!
Jimmy Hendrix said he came to the UK cos he was treated equally in the UK! I`d like to think we`re a tolerant people, of race, of skin colour & religion. Yeah, I know there are some, BUT, not on THIS forum,
`cept them Daystate owners of course, man i hate them rich buggers!
juss sayin like :lol:
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

Blackbaronfish

Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:10 am

I remember a family friend in the 70,s having an awful time with the law because he was gay :o

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

Andy-K2

Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:53 am

And the World turns.............. and we move on or educate ourselves into what is right or wrong to make our mistakes again. This time it will be "shall I push the button or not".... and the World will turn again, until the next era. I personally think the English are an arrogant race of people, we have moved around the world to educate people into our way of thinking, Islands trapped in time, we try to make it English, Cultures wrong, it must be English... I've been watching the Indian Summers program, ok its TV but I'm pretty sure it is as close to life as it was for India? We holiday abroad and make no effort to speak the lingo, bloody waiter ;) and foreign TV whats all that about :lol: My neighbour even complained to a Spanish hotel manager that the TV had "no English channels". Makes me sad to be British... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
"Whatever""Whenever" The codes of friendship.
Be kinder than necessary, every one you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

TX200 Mk3 .177 (of course) Hawke EV 3-9x50 MAP6. TBT.
HW100T .177 Hawke Sidewinder 30 SF 3-12x50 1/2 Milldot

no avatar
zingpow

Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:24 pm

I don't care about the wars, in the grand scheme of things they're a way of keeping the numbers down so there are more natural resources for everyone else...god damn agricultural societies don't need electricity or petroleum based field machinery anyway, got plenty of places to poop and plenty of folks to shovel the land...speaking of petroleum in this day in age it seems to be THE item up for bid and war is the only way of controlling it's power over those who want more (or any) of it and who could that be other than it's largest user and those stuck on non-producing islands who have to import allllll of it...

anyway I don't hold the revolutionary war against the british either, nor does my family as we profited off it back in the day selling to both sides, guns and ammo to the colonies, bad whiskey and tainted women to the british...

what does piss me off about the british is how they treated my ancestors and how it keeps me from the throne of England where I belong...they shipped them off to the new world for a few minor infractions of the law not the least of which was my great (many times over) grandfather, the royal gardner as he was banging the queen on a regular basis, sending his dna down through the royal generations...it's just that I would like to come back to my native land and perhaps be the royal gardner and plant my seeds in some royal hottie...seems reasonable...sir zing of the hamptons...
time traveler, meat eater, mad as a box of frogs

I'm not the anti-Christ but I know him, and he owes me money

Geordie

Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:24 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ^^^^^
AA s410K .177
BSA R10 .177 Super carbine. (Blacky)

Timmytree

Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:13 pm

FPoole wrote:I was talking to an African American friend Saturday. I told him that I thought some of the U.K. folks on the airgun forums were not so fond of Americans. We concluded it must have it's roots in the late war. He then asked me if I was still mad about the U.S. Civil war. My answer was a definite yes, even though I wasn't directly involved. He then asks how do I think he feels. He says that if it wasn't for us, he could be over in Africa chasing lions. I told him he'd more likely be a pile of lion crap. As far as the Revolutionary War, I'm convinced that England pretty much cut it's losses and went home. The greatest military power in the world, at that time, would have been able to wipe the floor with the U.S. if we are all honest. I think England had too many irons in the fire at that time. I was a bit amazed at how bitter my friend seemed over the slavery thing considering that he'd never been a slave or even close.

We don't dislike Americans, we view you as slightly naughty children but secretly admire the fact that you don't seem to give a toss for protocol or authority. After all we did let you join in WW2 to let you have a bit of fun didn't we?
Ok, all a bit tongue in cheek but there is a special bit of banter between America and the UK and always will be. More importantly we try to support each other and rarely fall out.
As for your friend, why blame the children for the sins of the fathers? A few years ago the port and City of Bristol was highlighted for its part in the slave trade, various "groups" were calling for a civil apology for the wrongdoings of the slavers. For something that happened so long ago? I think your friend has a chip on both shoulders. If he was my friend I would be tempted to invite him to go back if he thinks he's missed out on something. Buy him a beer and tell him to get over it.