killer crow

Timmytree

killer crow

Tue May 23, 2017 7:04 pm

I think I posted ages ago about a local crow that seems to actively pursue woodpigeons. Today I saw him make a very definite kill.
Woodies are feeding on the field near me in quite large numbers, it's grass with clover or chickweed, now thick after the first cut and the pigeons are out of sight from my level but not to the crow! I've watched him sitting in the orchard next door watching the pigeons on the powerlines, he waits until the birds fly down to feed and then flies low over the field panicking the pigeons who erupt in all directions. The crow seems to select one bird and performs amazing aerobatics to stay with it, the pigeons are faster but the crow is learning! I've seen him get a few beakfuls of feathers quite a few times but no meal.
This afternoon he ambushed a group and scattered them, one bird turned left, the crow turned inside, almost as though he anticipated what was going to happen. he grabbed the woodie by the left wing and hung on, both birds dropped maybe 10 ft into the grass and it was game over bar a bit of flapping.
I felt a bit sorry for the woodie but I have a grudging admiration for the crow, they're not built for speed or aerobatics but intelligence isn't lacking and they are strong! I hope to witness some more attacks and see if his technique improves and maybe even passes on his skills to the other crows.
It's definitely the same bird each time, he has a distinctive white tip on one wing that I can spot quite easily in flight.
Has anyone else ever seen similar?

no avatar
poguemahone

Re: killer crow

Tue May 23, 2017 10:25 pm

you may be witnessing evolution tim 8-) 8-)
as you say, they're a lot further north of just clever :lol: :lol:

Blackbaronfish

Wed May 24, 2017 5:38 am

It's amazing how clever they are. If they want it bad enough they'll put the effort in :mrgreen:

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

Raj

Wed May 24, 2017 10:06 pm

Video it !!! I want to see :shock:
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

Timmytree

Thu May 25, 2017 1:45 pm

Raj wrote:Video it !!! I want to see :shock:

I wish I could get it on video but it only seems to be 1 or 2 attempts each day and I've only seen one successful ambush so far. If a few other crows start to emulate him I might get lucky. On a side note, having watched the woodies dodging this crow I was really taken by the ability of both species to turn and dodge, it struck me that woodies remind me of Allied aircraft on D Day with the white wing bars showing.
This crow really is a brute of a bird though, bigger all over than any other crows around here.

no avatar
Outandabout

Thu May 25, 2017 2:15 pm

I have seen them take sparrows and starlings but nothing as big as a pigeon.
Kevin

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Thu May 25, 2017 2:45 pm

Are you sure its not a peregrine in a crow suit :lol:
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

Timmytree

Thu May 25, 2017 8:58 pm

eboswan wrote:Are you sure its not a peregrine in a crow suit :lol:

I think this particular corvid makes peregrines look like a friendly cockatiel!

no avatar
FPoole

Fri May 26, 2017 12:10 am

My daughter left a pumpkin under a tree out in front of the house. Mind you that this was left after Halloween and it is a white colored one. It's still there, but Saturday morning I was looking out the front window when 10-12 crows just landed all at once and began to circle around the pumpkin. After a few minutes they flew away and i am still left to wonder, what was that all about.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Fri May 26, 2017 7:35 am

We get a red kite or two over us and the crows mob them quite violently. Occasionally the kite turns over tallons up to strike but they still have a go.