Mini welder

Blackbaronfish

Mini welder

Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:30 pm

Has anyone got any experience of small portable 240v welders. I like the price of these but not sure if its any good :oops:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Welder-TIG-ar ... 1544786962
Any info would be great

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
davyt63

Re: Mini welder

Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:15 am

hi Ray
i have this one https://www.machinemart.co.uk/c/diy-mig-welders/

and it does the job buddy,i also have a arc welder to which dose the job.

Davy
did i mention,i have done one less meet then Ray, lol.

Raj

Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:06 pm

Your picture shows a TIG welder, Ray. Davy's shows a MIG welder. What are you planning to weld and how much of it is there to do?
For short runs on different metals, TIG is good. Long runs on the same metal is better with MIG.
For my sins, my first job in the UK was patrol inspection up and down a bank of 50 welding bays manufacturing automotive exhaust systems 8-)

That is a not a 'Cool' emoji ... That is me in my welding inspection goggles ;)
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

darran77

Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:14 pm

After owning welders that would give Arnold shwartz a hernia if he tried to move them i now own a handbag welder.
Its a stick invertor welder that is a joy to use and i find it much easier to set up and use than a mig or even a tig.
But as Raj said depends on what your going to use it for.
Also dont forget the extras , sticks ,electrodes, wire and gas depending on which you choose.
daz
IFAC member

no avatar
neil

Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:25 pm

if you scroll down Raj it comes with tig and MMA gear, only thing to think over is what you want to weld and how often your going to do it, mild steel and, with the right rods, stainless can be done with stick but if your welding thin sheet stainless or ally then tig is the way to go, just need to sort out a decent gas bottle supply

darran77

Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:32 pm

neil wrote:if you scroll down Raj it comes with tig and MMA gear, only thing to think over is what you want to weld and how often your going to do it, mild steel and, with the right rods, stainless can be done with stick but if your welding thin sheet stainless or ally then tig is the way to go, just need to sort out a decent gas bottle supply

Pub gas works well, or hobby gas. If you go down the BOC route than there is the renting and carbon off set to pay, i was quoted a few years ago £300.to start with and £75. rent every year plus gas.
daz
IFAC member