IT experts

Timmytree

IT experts

Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:06 pm

I am a complete buffoon with computers!
Now then, my old HP Pavilion is on windows 8, I've had a message come up a few times telling me I have limited connection, switching the router on and off usually sorts the problem. Now I have lost all wireless connectivity, no networks are displayed so I'm stuck with a cable connection.
Any ideas on how to restore wireless connectivity would be welcomed, the simpler the better!
Thanks in advance. :D

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Re: IT experts

Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:56 pm

There should be a router hard reset routine usually hold in a button on the back for 10 seconds. depends on the router.
Also go into Manage network connections in Windoze and delete them all.
Cant guide you how as I have been on Mac for years now.

no avatar
Outandabout

Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:47 pm

Who is your internet supplier?, as different routers have different resets. What else do you use your router ie SKY- BT or an android box,because sometimes when you reset, you need to type in the router passoword into your machine's to re-connect to the intenet.
Kevin

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:07 pm

Outandabout wrote:Who is your internet supplier?, as different routers have different resets. What else do you use your router ie SKY- BT or an android box,because sometimes when you reset, you need to type in the router passoword into your machine's to re-connect to the intenet.
Kevin

Same goes for deleting the saved connections. Gotta break eggs to make omlettes.
99% of folk never change the wifi key from the one on the back label so reset will usually not change it.

no avatar
granville

Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:14 pm

I had my router go like that I got new one sorted the problem .

no avatar
milek

Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:18 pm

Is your F12 key lit bright white or orange? If no netweorks are showing it could be your wireless card on your laptop

Timmytree

Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:40 pm

[quote="milek"]Is your F12 key lit bright white or orange? If no netweorks are showing it could be your wireless card on your laptop[/quote

This seems to fit the symptoms, orange light on F12, other iPads and phones detect and connect without a problem. Any idea of a cure or just carry on using a cable?

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:49 pm

Having the ethernet cable in will turn off the wifi and may turn on the orange light. Is the light still orange when you remove the ethernet and reboot the laptop?
Is there a wifi on/off switch or function?

Timmytree

Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:00 pm

TenMetrePeter wrote:Having the ethernet cable in will turn off the wifi and may turn on the orange light. Is the light still orange when you remove the ethernet and reboot the laptop?
Is there a wifi on/off switch or function?

Just logged back on and the orange light has gone, normal service resumed! Removed the ethernet cable and all works again. Obviously a female set up, the bloody thing has a mind of its own.
Thanks for all the suggestions!