A conundrum for discussion - working your notice

no avatar
Big Dog

A conundrum for discussion - working your notice

Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:44 pm

So I have an employment problem that I thought I'd open up for discussion. Not the usual thing I see on here, but I'm hoping it will lead to some discussion maybe.

I've handed in my notice at work, I really can't stand it there any longer. The way I've been treated has made me ill. I work part time for a national DIY retailer and when I started there 2 years ago it was great. I enjoyed every minute of it, so much so that I extended my contractual hours. However, the management team has changed and while there are some great trading managers there, the store manager is a real piece of work. He's rude, arrogant, self centered, doesn't give a stuff about staff and encourages bullying. He's never liked me much, but recently I've been targeted for 'special treatment'. I've been singled out for unfair criticism, I've been given targets that cannot possibly achieved within my part time hours, I've failed assessments as a result of someone else's failure and things over which I have no control. It's not about performing badly, I am not a poor performer, I'm actually doing and achieving more than many of my colleagues. I've been formally warned because I spent 3 minutes talking to another member of staff, but no mention of the amount of my own time I give to the company every week. The manager walks around the store spying on me during the day, he's not monitoring the general goings on, he's targeting me. A month or so ago I had to spend the day in Hospital, I'd been advised that I may have Cancer and was admitted for some biopsies etc. The paperwork that I gave them at work clearly detailed that I would be unfit to work the day following my day surgery, however, ignoring this, my employer detailed me to work at 9am the morning after! It has been made very difficult for me to continue working there.

It doesn't help that after 30 years of service to my Country, I suffer with a complex mix of PTSD and OCD. Subsequently I can sometimes see things differently from others and if I feel threatened/closely monitored or at risk, I can overreact. You can't imagine how I feel some days at the moment. The manner in which I have been treated at my place of employment has made me quite ill and has forced me to seek help: I'm now currently undergoing a Cognitive Behavioral Therapy course to help me relax. Realising that it's my health or my job, I handed my notice in after speaking with my CBT counselor. I'm required to give 4 weeks notice, but wrote to my employer asking if this could be negotiated down given the health issues it's created. However, true to form, I haven't even even had an acknowledgement and they wont talk to me about it at all.

I genuinely cannot work there any more, and I am tempted to do something that goes against the grain - I'm tempted to leave without having worked my full notice period. Now I know that this is wrong, I would let my employer down, my colleagues down and I wouldn't feel great about myself, but I've got to get out of there quickly. Leaving would be better for my health, but I'd feel guilty. I would imagine that I would not get a future reference from the employer and I would think that they would withhold the money that I am owed. I was willing to be unemployed just to get out.

As it happens, this afternoon I was offered another little part time job, it's just right, working outside in a yard, no real targets and a decent crew. The hours and type of work would better suit my OCD/PTSD. They want me to start the week after next, which is within my notice period, although as said, I'm thinking of just leaving now anyway.

So, I think I've made my decision - any thoughts guys?

Geordie

Re: A conundrum for discussion - working your notice

Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:36 pm

Theres only one answer to your question.....quit!!! F#ck em, you dont owe them owt!

I wouldn't feel one iota of guilt! :evil:
AA s410K .177
BSA R10 .177 Super carbine. (Blacky)

no avatar
GrandadG

Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:46 pm

I'm with Geordie mate, tell them to shove their job up their arse.
Or, go see your GP, and get a sick note (stress), to last to the end of your notice :mrgreen:
HW100T .177
AA Prosport .177
AA S200 .177 Huma Reg

no avatar
Brooksy

Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:50 pm

Notice periods aren't worth the paper they are written on, however, withholding pay is illegal. I have experienced staff leaving before their contractual notice period and we can't take a penny back.

1. Write a resignation letter and quote 'leaving due to unreasonable demands, bullying and harassment'. Also quote 'I feel forced to resign almost to the point of constructive dismissal.'

2. Write down what, when, how he made your life a misery to the best of your memory.

Keep a copy. They have to treat this as a grievance. Also, send a copy to their head office for the attention of the HR Manager.

3. End it with 'please respond constructively within 7 working days.

Now, do it and take the other job.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second one mouse that gets the cheese.

Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20, Light Stream 4.5X14X44 FFP.
AA S410 TDR .177, Yukon Photon XT with 135 mm lens conversion.

Blackbaronfish

Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:05 pm

Sorry to hear your being messed about. You now need to look after no 1.Do not just walk out. Write a letter to company HR,then ask for an apointment to see them. At the meeting you will have two things.One being your letter stating why you are truly leaving,even if you have to name names and the fact that you are stressed. The second being a witness (make sure you trust this guy). By producing the letter it will give you time to negotiate your owed wages. If you left without any exit interview you will have no leg to stand on later on when things have cooled down.
The interview will help to get things off your chest and at the same time help any other employee getting the same treatment.

Good luck

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
gary martin

Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:18 pm

sorry to hear about your situation, now that you have have handed your notice in, go to work, if you are singled out again, leave stating stress related illness. if they contact you this would count as harassment. if you just walk out, you will lose any accrued holiday as you have broken contract.

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:32 pm

I think brooksy has said all that needs too be said..
It would be nice just too walkout
It would be nice just too punch the guy around the head but .....you sound a much better guy than that.
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
wastrel

Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:45 pm

eboswan wrote:I think brooksy has said all that needs too be said..
It would be nice just too walkout
It would be nice just too punch the guy around the head but .....you sound a much better guy than that.

wot he said!
now, in helping you (hopefully) I worked in a naval base all of last year, changed jobs/companies from external getting soaked, horizontal sleet, blue hands & face to a nice internal finishing joinery work job, problem was the site manager, I`d been well warned before hand but told myself I`d let it go in one ear & out the other! BIG MISTAKE, nearing 50 & the fact I don`t TNS I regularly barked right back at `im, so much so, I had chest palpitations last December requiring a full heart scan, ECG -the works, started back 7th January this year, walked after another row over my partners work (who wasn`t there that day) on the 8th,
now the point Big Dog, shortly after I left he rounded on a young lad who faced him up, he actually said "you wanna see if you can get one in do you?"
probably wished he hadn`t, young Burnsy was trained in boxing, so lined him up nicely with two jabs & floored him with a right across the jaw (WISH I`D BEEN THERE) point is, young Burnsy will never work on an MOD site for the rest of his life & the guy who gave him a recommendation can`t do that for anyone else either!
I`ve been doing mostly agency work since then, not a raised voice, no row around the corner, nowt bothering me whatsoever & `you know what? none of the site managers I`ve dealt with since have been exceptional in any way! not creeps or wimps just ordinary guys doing a days graft & knowing a decent joiner with a flawless attendance is what they need, I took a day off for my sons graduation last thursday, site manager filled my timesheet on Friday showing 39 hrs & simply winked at me as he handed me my sheet, they are not the exception, neither are you neither am I, your manager & my old site manager are the exceptions, the words I`d use for them would get me barred from AAOC,
remember, he is the problem, not you! WALK mate, & relax, & know you are not the problem.
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

no avatar
Mason

Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:43 am

Hi Big Dog,

Bullying in the workplace sadly is an all too common problem, that leaves the victim in a helpless situation with seemingly nowhere to turn. The store manager is not immune to actions that could be taken against him and place his employment in jeopardy. The lack of communication after your notice may be indicative that he knows this and is trying to limit possible damage to himself and the firm.
Below is the number for ACAS which will offer sound advice and provide support if needed for free. Also their web link.

0300 123 1100 (8am-8pm Monday to Friday and 9am-1pm Saturday).

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1410

All the best
Mason

edit:- Please call them before you do anything else, you are in a stronger position than you think!

Timmytree

Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:21 am

Health is more important.
Get signed off through stress and contact ACAS, I think Bristol is the nearest office. They were brilliant with me and sorted out my problem in a matter which could have cost me £thousands.