Allotment

Katzenjammer

Allotment

Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:48 pm

I'm always glad when the year turns and you feel Spring may final be sprung though as we have observed some things are springing up already.

Been spending a lot of time on the allotment and this year I am back to my full spread as the half I loaned to a neighbouring allotment holder is back with me. He has sadly passed away from advanced stomach cancer. Lovely guy. Not that he left it in a bad state, in fact far from it as he was an ex market gardener so I have been using up his produce and distributing it round deserving cases.

I went out and bought my seeds and suchlike this morning and in addition am going to try flowers again this year. This thanks to my Dad who reminded me of the lovely gladioli and dahlias I used to grow. So the full spread is going to take up more of my time and some other hobbies may have to go by the board a bit. Anyway there is none that feeds me so well for so little as the allotment.

Trying to get all the maintenance work out the way before the growing season starts.

How's everybody else doing in their plots?
ATB
Steve
Member since Autumn 2007

Blackbaronfish

Re: Allotment

Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:26 am

Green fingers is something I've never had. For Chistmas I purchased a greenhouse for the wife as my shed was getting cluttered with bags of compost and such like. She only grows tomatoes in pots, so this is a big leap for her.

I'm keeping well away from the growing malarkey and will only be on hand to samlple the spoils.

Good luck with the flowers I'm sure the wife will love all those :o :mrgreen:

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

Katzenjammer

Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:36 am

"The wife"? :lol: :lol:

I got rid of mine 20 years ago come May. Best thing I ever did. It was the year I laid my patio as I recall;) :lol: :lol:

Your good lady should branch out (no pun intended). She could grow cucumbers, peppers etc in pots. And bigger pots outdoors can sustain potatoes, carrots, lettuce, herbs etc.

Had my third fall in 26 years yesterday - it's the mud that's the hazard. Went my full length and put my teeth through my lip. One other time was off the shed roof - on to soil fortunately. Hazardous places.
ATB
Steve
Member since Autumn 2007

Blackbaronfish

Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 am

I know your not married ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
ajg40

Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:09 pm

I have 2 plots next to each other. Both still works in progress. Had them just over 2 years now.
One is going to be mainly for fruit trees. The other soft fruits and veg eventually.
Tidying main task at the moment when I can get round on a dry day!
Last year had damsons, plums, apples, strawberries, rasberries, blackberries and runner beans. Also grew sunflowers and have a lavender bed.

no avatar
FPoole

Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:09 pm

I've got 2 3/4 acres of open flat property just right for growing things. Trouble is, only the weeds seem to thrive. It's hard enough to keep the place mowed. If I lived a bit closer you'd all be welcome to practice your gardening here.