wee heads up on nailguns for any chippys out there

no avatar
wastrel

wee heads up on nailguns for any chippys out there

Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:17 pm

right well, bought a couple of different nailguns recently so I thought I`d post my findings in case any of you might find them useful.
first up, I`ve bought the Ryobi 0ne+ 18v tools, hammer/drill driver, impact driver, skillsaw, SDS drill all with the big 4 amp batteries & boy do these tools deliver for the money, I knew my paslode was on it`s way out & was desperate to add the 16g all electric nailer to my kit, so I did, 240 smackers for 3 days worth & less than 800 nails before it simply chucked it! :shock: supplier changed it for a new one no questions asked, second one lasted 2 days & went the same way. :evil: supplier refunded me full price but gotta say, it was big, bulky, heavy & difficult to get into tight spaces because of it`s bulk, I`d steer clear IIWY.
my gaffer has a deal going with a Glasgow supplier & got me the Rawl finishing nailer for £275, so lets get to it, first up it`s an out & out copy of the paslode, it`s light, if you`ve used a paslode, that`s it then, same gas required, different battery but operates exactly the same as the old favourite.
next worth mentioning is temperature of batteries & gas, they MUST be kept warm, I bring mine home every night so they don`t get chilled overnight on (unheated) site, I keep a spare gas tube in my pocket & heat both during break times using the halogen light, the ones you could fry an egg on so, mega careful not to get anything too close to the light in case they melt.
3 weeks intensive use later I bring it home tonight & service it & boy was it dirty inside, some brake cleaner & some paslode high heat lubricating oil & she`s good to go. now, the Rawl manual says to clean the filters regulary, no hint as to what they regard `regulary` actually is? if like me your fitting skirtings & facings all day long I`d say clean it every week. it (the manual) also says batteries charge in around 2 hrs :o I nearly fainted at this, thing is, even after heating on a radiator for a while, they charge in less than half an Hr, so either Rawl are way off with their estimate or I got superior batteries, HMM :roll:
the Rawl is around half the cost of a new Paslode, I`d say the paslode is superior as my mate has one & doesn`t need to be anywhere near as fussy with temperature as me, but Rawl say their gas contains a lubricant so the gun comes basically lubed for life, you`ll notice I mentioned lubeing my gun above, that`s because we`re being supplied with Bostich nails & gas & I just checked, Bostich doesn`t include lubricant in the gas.
so, that`s the Rawl B1664 so far.
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member