Palace of Westminster and Big Ben

Timmytree

Palace of Westminster and Big Ben

Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:40 pm

Both old buildings are in a dire state and need expensive repairs, now I know that these are tourist attractions, well loved by Yanks and Japs and much photographed but do we honestly need to spend the ridiculous amounts of money quoted?
Big Ben alone needs £40 million, I'm sure the figure mentioned for the palace was £7 billion!
I think it's about time that the UK government displayed their commitment to austerity by refusing to spend our money on this pile of old stones, pull the lot down and create a much needed car park, a green space or if they really want something special, put in a hand car wash staffed by British people who don't look like mafiosos and can breathe without spitting.
Lets have some opinions! :mrgreen:

no avatar
Brooksy

Re: Palace of Westminster and Big Ben

Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:20 pm

Guy Fawkes night soon isn't it?

:D
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second one mouse that gets the cheese.

Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20, Light Stream 4.5X14X44 FFP.
AA S410 TDR .177, Yukon Photon XT with 135 mm lens conversion.

james79

Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:19 pm

A new permission? Sounds like a cracker, a wide variety of pest species that are surely covered by the general licence most of which are notifiable (or do I mean certifiable? ) good sport by all accounts :twisted: :mrgreen:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:39 pm

Sell the lot too the yanks and use the profits and land too build housing for our fresh batch of newcomers
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
zippy

Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:50 pm

£40,million... WOW!
Last edited by zippy on Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Air Arms tx200hc, mtc taipan, 4-16X50
Air Arms tx200hc, falcon menace, 4-14x44 FFP
Air Arms Pro-sport, mtc mamber
Air Arms TDR, falcon menace 10x44
HW 100t falcon menace 4-14X44 FFP
HW 100t richer optics
HW 97KT
HW 45 Geordie custom grips
Alecto

Katzenjammer

Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:57 pm

Far too expensive a restoration project. Sell it off to the Chinese/Arabs/Russians etc

The solution is

A new parliament building built to the North of London and in the Midlands if possible. I would say further North but that isn't really practical. They could also build a complete suite of offices and accommodation blocks and anything else required. That would cure the two homes frauds etc. You live there, FULL STOP! A mix of accommodation size to suit needs could be provided. Secure, patrolled site etc etc.

They could even have the policy departments of every major government dept there so the Ministers can liaise with the Perm Secs etc. That was long used as an excuse for non devolvement of ordinary functions of Govt Depts from London (Hardman Dispersals 1970's - never really happened and that was all pre computers etc) You don't need to be in London know whatever the outcries may be
ATB
Steve
Member since Autumn 2007