Unbelievable - discriminated against because I'm honest

no avatar
Big Dog

Unbelievable - discriminated against because I'm honest

Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:23 pm

Well, I am absolutely flabbergasted. Been on the look out for a new job as I'm about to find myself unemployed when the shop I work in closes down. Found something that was right up my street - part time handy man in a care home. I have the skills required and plenty of experience renovating/repairing homes etc. So in went my application with the required CV via email. Just 15 minutes later I got an email back thanking me for my application and telling me that my skills and experience were both extensive..........................................but that my strengths lay elsewhere so I couldn't have the job. They thanked me for making the application and attending the interview! Well I hadn't been to an interview and had only submitted the application 15 minutes before the email response. As I had the relevant skills I thought, "hold on a minute", I'd ask some more questions and investigate what I considered to be an unfair knock back.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the reason my application wasn't progressed was due to my back ground. Now I'm not a criminal, I have never been arrested and I'm not a deviant. I'm honest, decent and I'm hard working. My back ground consists of having served my Country for the best part of 30 years, in the Military and then other Government Service. Sadly much of my service to this Country has taken me into violent conflict etc. I've been turned down for a job because of my 30 years of selfless service to this Country, because they don't want "someone like me" there. What a disgrace, I don't know what to say to be honest. No wonder there are currently 10,000 plus ex service personnel homeless and living on the streets if this is how we can be treated by potential employers.

Geordie

Re: Unbelievable - discriminated against because I'm honest

Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:31 pm

That is quite sickening tbh! Many an ethnic group are given more help against discrimination than our own lads who've served our country in various capacities. Makes me puke! :evil:

You have my sympathies BD, I hope you find a way forward.
AA s410K .177
BSA R10 .177 Super carbine. (Blacky)

no avatar
wastrel

Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:23 pm

we`ve all seen in recent years how `political correctness` drives us all nuts, but serving this country now counts against you in a job application!!
I`d take them to task-publicly & loudly-embarrass & shame them.
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

Blackbaronfish

Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:38 am

Request an interview, and show them what you can offer. Be very polite and don't get into a argument of any sort. You may not get the job, but you will get your point over. Keep the conversation going about your life skills and reliability.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

Katzenjammer

Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:28 am

This goes against what was reported fairly recently. That being that employers prefer older more reliable workers and particularly those from a service background be it military or civil service. They want the work ethic we have.

Do as bbf suggests.
ATB
Steve
Member since Autumn 2007

no avatar
Brooksy

Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:46 am

Which town in Somerset are you in? Take a look at your local train station and note which companies operate in your area and then get their websites online. Apply for conductor and revenue protection vacancies. Train operators love ex service personnel, especially as you've worked in a shop, that's good customer service background. You'll be surprised at what they pay. My conductors are on £25,000 plus commission for a four day week with a pension.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second one mouse that gets the cheese.

Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20, Light Stream 4.5X14X44 FFP.
AA S410 TDR .177, Yukon Photon XT with 135 mm lens conversion.

no avatar
granville

Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:52 pm

i would sooner see if the man can do the job than have the paper work to say they can.

no avatar
oedbachgen

Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:43 pm

I'd contact the Royal British Legion, and get some advise on it, you don't have to be a member to get help, all the best with it.

no avatar
Big Dog

Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:29 pm

Brooksy wrote:Which town in Somerset are you in? Take a look at your local train station and note which companies operate in your area and then get their websites online. Apply for conductor and revenue protection vacancies. Train operators love ex service personnel, especially as you've worked in a shop, that's good customer service background. You'll be surprised at what they pay. My conductors are on £25,000 plus commission for a four day week with a pension.

Cheers Brooksy, I'll give this a try. My nearest rail head is in Bridgwater.

no avatar
Brooksy

Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:40 pm

Do a CV using one of the CV builder tools on the web, it's free. Keep it to no more than 2 pages, don't mention how many kids, cars or wives you have. Never, ever put anything like 'I like going out with my mates and having a laugh'.
You may know this but you'd be surprised at how many I see where they mention smoking dope and wanting to be a train driver in the same paragraph.
Watch their websites weekly, things change fast on the railways, especially now the DfT have realised there's no more room for new roads.

Good luck.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second one mouse that gets the cheese.

Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20, Light Stream 4.5X14X44 FFP.
AA S410 TDR .177, Yukon Photon XT with 135 mm lens conversion.