Pet insurance.

no avatar
Aitch

Re: Pet insurance.

Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:33 am

Our rough coated Jack Russell has a bank account (in my wife's name of course) where we put £400 per year, we have an agreement that if she does a bunk she takes the little mite with her. :D :D :D

no avatar
wastrel

Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:55 am

you have GOT to joking me?
get a collie, any kind, live with 'em, love 'em, other than food-spend f'all on them-
30/40/50 quid a MONTH on insurance- you have got to be kidding me1
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

roadrunner

Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:22 am

Ive just put 600 quid into my cat,first expense in 8 years but he's worth it,and thats the differance,the other cat i would have had put down,that works out at 75 quid a year since weve owned him so i consider myself still well in credit over pet insurance,and its the same with break down policy's or any other insurances its just a racket

no avatar
brookfisher

Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:21 am

Hi there, just read your post. That seems very expensive. I have a 4yr border terrier bitch who is in good health, chipped and spayed. I pay £10.50 per month, with a £75 excess. I have only had one claim when she was a pup. I agree its a must have though. That's with More Than insurance. Hope that helps.
AA Pro~Sport .177 with a BSA Scope

no avatar
Outandabout

Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:41 pm

I had a working terrier for 19 years and never even considered insurance. I paid a lot of money to the vet on more than 1 occasion for injuries to my dog, the worst being when she jumped through a broken 5 bar gate and became impaled on a broken rail causing massive internal bleeding and stomach punctured etc. This was almost £1000 pounds about 6 years ago.
She even broke a toe and snapped tendons in her feet chasing a ball in the back garden. BUT there were many years when the only tiime she went to the vets was for an annual check up and injections. If i had paid an average of £200 pound a year insurance over the 19 years it would have cost me £3800. So over the time i think i may have saved some money. But thats not the point. It is easier on the pocket to pay a little bit monthly than a lump when you need to.
Its like you car insurance. PAY it and hope you dont need to use it. Unless you are fortunate enough to have a little put by for emergencies, and dont forget- the bigger the dog the bigger the bill.

Its your choice
Cheers
Kevin

no avatar
brookfisher

Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:04 pm

Also included in my pet insurance is third party cover, its also worth thinking about.
AA Pro~Sport .177 with a BSA Scope

eddie666

Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:10 am

petplan is about £20 a month
i have 4 dogs but only two are insured ( the springer and the collie ) the other two are old and we never bothered insuring them.

http://www.petplan.co.uk/
prosport 177 2015 walnut
tx200 .22 1998 mk2
walther lgv comp ultra 1.77 2014
walther lgu .22 2014

no avatar
Urbanfox

Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:26 pm

Ray, my last Goldn Retriever was insured from 1yr old and never had a claim.
The yearly cost went up steadly until she was 11yr old and jumped from £320 per anum to £900per anum. Needles to say, I didn't continue with insurance!!!!!
Put some cash away each month and hope you don't have any big vet bills. These sods are worse than Dentists.

atb
Bri

raygun

Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:47 pm

Hi Bri,
That's what I'm doing. I've cancelled the Dick Turpin insurers and I'll carry any losses myself.

I'm sure the premiums will just keep increasing out of proportion and I may as well surrender now.
As the dog gets older I'm sure they do it on purpose.

ATB
Ray.

no avatar
wastrel

Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:30 pm

wastrel wrote:you have GOT to joking me?
get a collie, any kind, live with 'em, love 'em, other than food-spend f'all on them-
30/40/50 quid a MONTH on insurance- you have got to be kidding me1

just remembered an insurance story regarding our dog a few years back, Sox the one on the right above is as mad as a box of frogs, gets into all sorts of capers, once while trying to retrieve a ball from under the dining table got tangled in a onesie one o kids left lying, hysterical it was, think she thought she was under attack from it. I degress, sorry,
son runs home from park with her one day & she`d an almighty gash about 6" long inside her front leg, it was so deep we could see the tendons in her leg, off to vets, we were told it`d be an anesthetised op', overnight stay, cost, £330 if memory serves and were asked if she was insured?
nope.
we`d used this vet a lot with our old collie so they know us well, I told them I could pay it, but if I could pay it up over say 3 weeks, that`d help a lot, 330 in one go would wipe me out for that week.
vet`s assistant returned a minute or two later, said the vet had agreed it could be stitched with a local anesthetic, then bandaged, we could take her home in an hour, for £120! funny that!
Last edited by wastrel on Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member