Site Admin

chaotic gun control

Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:05 am

IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

Katzenjammer

Re: chaotic gun control

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:37 pm

Best read the report tbh. This is my post off PW. This is only saying what shooters have been saying for years. This is the report that has been presented and the report that will be acted on and not what the press think. The relevant bodies have been consulted including BASC. If I remember right some of this came out in the Select Committee review headed up by the anti Keith Vaz MP. Despite his personal views it was a reasoned and fair review as is this.

https://www.justicei...eting-the-risk/

"I read this topic over an hour ago. I have just read the full report. It is a critique of the forces, their performance, their inconsistency in working etc. I can only suggest you read the report rather than sensationalist or the "anti" press and try and make a reasoned judgement as to its fairness or affect on you and other licence holders. From my own perspective and experience in Cleveland I have few worries tbh even if this function was merged with Durham! Only those with something to hide or worry about will feel concerned? If you put yourself in the shoes of Atherton's relatives would you not have been worried about him getting his guns back given his threats etc in the past? He was on the radar! You cannot regulate for those who may suddenly snap who are not on the radar. GP's may be able to give advanced warning of this but if you read the report that profession don't come out too well imo.

We all know police forces are under pressure and under resourced. Firearms licensing is a small part of what they do and the teams will have to be bolstered or resourced better to undertake some of the points and recommendations. Chief Constables will have to take this into account along with all the other demands to improve across the board. There are recommendations to the Home Office as well to streamline procedures and guidance."
ATB
Steve
Member since Autumn 2007

no avatar
Pat g

Re: chaotic gun control

Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:13 pm

Despite what the media, ACPO and the anti gun lobby have the general public believe, UK gun laws are actually quite effective, or would be if administered properly by the relevant licensing authorities.
This is the problem and this is what the inspectorate has found. The fact that there are guidelines in place to be followed and tools available for licensing authorities to make a balanced, unbiased and fair judgement on an applicant so as to protect public safety. Sadly in some cases this has not been the case and there have been incidents that truthfully could have been avoided had procedures been followed.
There are many good licensing forces out there. Northumbria, Cleveland and North Yorkshire to name but a few. However there are many that simply make rules up as they go along together with adding ludicrous conditions to new grant certificates. This is why for many years now i have advocated that firearms licensing should be administered by a central government body singing from the same hymm sheet as it were.
Well done to the forces that administer firearms licensing correctly and effectively (my own force Northumbria included) to the others that don't hang your heads in shame. The police's priority first and foremost is to protect public safety and rightly so, however we as shooters should also remember we are paying customers and that should be reflected in the service we receive by our relevant licensing authorities,
ATB,
Pat
Ceaser Guerini Magnus Sporter 12g
Beretta Urika 2 12g Auto
243 howa 1500, 3-12x50 Zeiss, Wildcat mod
Sako Finfire 22lr
CZ 452 Varmint 17HMR
AA S410 carbine 177
HW 77k SFS stage 2 177