Ponchos and other waterproof clothing

Katzenjammer

Ponchos and other waterproof clothing

Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:21 pm

What a boon they are? Out having a walkabout on the permission whilst Patg lolled in the Blackie Boy or some such pub in Newcastle whilst his wife did some shopping. He has got himself barred from the food shopping and suchlike by some clever ploys. Anyway this isn't about the fartfull dodger.

Caught in some torrential downpours today, but out with the poncho and they are so voluminous they cover bags and gun as well as bodies. Useful bits of kit and generally lightweight. I might let Patg have this camo one as I purchased a Deerhunter one in olive green the other day. Seeland do a good one as well at circa £50 and I like Seeland gear.

You get what you pay for and I decided to lash out today on some Seeland Keeper gear as Johnson Brown locally had a sale on. Got a nice jacket and trousers as well as a waistcoat. This stuff has been trialled in my company over the past 3 seasons by a friendly Pit Yacker and his brother has a set too and seem to give total satisfaction to both of them. I could have done with it last night when we were out lamping as a stiff east wind was blowing off the North Sea. Johnson Brown have a decent selection of quality outdoor and shooting clothing etc if anyone local to Shildon etc is interested.

The other thing I have done is rewax my old camo deerhunter and by that I mean a heavy rewax. It's not a wax jacket as such but the Nikwax has penetrated and held after many resprays. It works very well in shedding water. I'm told Fabsil is very good as well.
Last edited by Katzenjammer on Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
ATB
Steve
Member since Autumn 2007

no avatar
Brooksy

Re: Ponchos and other waterproof clothing

Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:13 pm

Endicotts sell good ex military ponchos, cheap too.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second one mouse that gets the cheese.

Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20, Light Stream 4.5X14X44 FFP.
AA S410 TDR .177, Yukon Photon XT with 135 mm lens conversion.

Katzenjammer

Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:37 am

Brooksy wrote:Endicotts sell good ex military ponchos, cheap too.

When I was a lad there were lots of ex-WW2 ones kicking around which could be joined to form large bivouacs.
ATB
Steve
Member since Autumn 2007

no avatar
Brooksy

Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:07 am

Just checked Endicotts website and there are no ponchos on there. Ebay seem to have them all, most of them can still be joined together as long as they are proper military grade.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second one mouse that gets the cheese.

Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20, Light Stream 4.5X14X44 FFP.
AA S410 TDR .177, Yukon Photon XT with 135 mm lens conversion.