Average speed cameras

no avatar
Outandabout

Average speed cameras

Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:29 pm

Hi all
Does anybody know for certain if average speed cameras on road works actualy work and lead to speeding fines. Or has anybody been done for speeding through these cameras. I travel the lenghth and breadth of the country and when I pass through the places with average speed cameras I ALWAYS stick to the recommended speed, while other vehicles including busses and wagons pass me. The only place I have heard of them working, is on the M4 around Port Talbot - but it is only hear-say.
I know the average speed cameras on the likes of the M42 actually work.
Kevin

Blackbaronfish

Re: Average speed cameras

Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:09 pm

I will tell you when i get my ticket from the m6 Grrrrrrrrr. The ones on the a46 dont work as the wires on the gantry are hanging down :lol: . Its a case of devil you do and devil you dont :mrgreen:

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Brooksy

Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:19 pm

There are some on the Buxton to Macclesfield road as it's known for biker deaths, but there are two routes you can take to the same stretch near the Cat and Fiddle pub so they can't prosecute as one is longer than the other. I notice most speeders on motorway sections drop in next to another vehicle as they pass the camera in order to hide their number plate.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second one mouse that gets the cheese.

Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20, Light Stream 4.5X14X44 FFP.
AA S410 TDR .177, Yukon Photon XT with 135 mm lens conversion.

Sake-san

Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:36 pm

If you calculate the journey time saved from ignoring them you will realise the folly in doing so!
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10-50x60
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10x42
TX200 test / analysis gun

Raj

Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:55 am

The Fleet of over 1000 vehicles for my company indirectly comes under me. I get to see all NIPs. I can tell you they work :)
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

darran77

Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:00 am

A couple of drivers i know have had fines from these systems, although they are contestable
as one driver was issued with a fine for doing 84mph in a 50 zone , thing was he was driving a loaded artic,
and he was going up windy hill at the time.
I always stick to the correct speed even though it is the speed on the sat-nav as the car odometer is well out,
eg sat-nav 60mph car odometer 56-57, .
Best one i heard was a driver waiting at a busy intersection somewhere in London, he received a fine for parking
as he was stuck there too long, all done by automated cameras.
daz
IFAC member

no avatar
singlespeed

Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:51 pm

The ones on the A9 work. Well, saying work as in you will get a ticket.

From the number of crashes within sight of a gantry, I doubt they are working to make the road safer as everyone gets fixated on their speedo instead of whats happening infront or behind them.

Katzenjammer

Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:37 pm

singlespeed wrote:The ones on the A9 work. Well, saying work as in you will get a ticket.

From the number of crashes within sight of a gantry, I doubt they are working to make the road safer as everyone gets fixated on their speedo instead of whats happening infront or behind them.

That is exactly the same as what happens on the M62/M60.
ATB
Steve
Member since Autumn 2007

no avatar
Brooksy

Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:15 pm

I can't understand why they apply when no men are working, like nights, weekends and bank holidays. That's who they are supposed to be protecting after all. It's a con.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second one mouse that gets the cheese.

Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20, Light Stream 4.5X14X44 FFP.
AA S410 TDR .177, Yukon Photon XT with 135 mm lens conversion.

no avatar
DESERT FOX

Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:29 pm

I got done in 2004 on the M25 at Egham in Surry.
Sign comes up variable speed limit due to road works,workmen in the road.I slowed down to 40mph.
Then found there wernt any road works all the plant and cones were up a bank.
I then got seriously beeped at,as every other car sped up to 70.
So i speeds up and got flashed.
I got a ticket in the post.I contested it saying if the road works wernt set out, then they should have turned the cameras off.
They didnt want to know!
I consulted a solicitor over it and obtained a statement from a Kent county Highways inspector saying that they would have turned the cameras off.
As it would be dangerous not to do so.

Solicitor said they have to have a document called a statutory instrument for setting out road works on a motorway,and theirs covered for two weeks.In which speed restrictions apply. Wether the road is being worked on or not.
I had to pay up.I wasnt happy being stitched up,but thats Great Britain for you.