Regional accents

roadrunner

Regional accents

Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:51 pm

Evening all,been a away on holiday to not so sunny north wales, what a place with fantastic views loads of stuff to see and do etc
Anyway to the topic in hand, accents or regional twangs,to say were are a small island the variation in dialect is epic, now iam a south yorkshire lad sheffield to be precise so iam a flat cap wearing whipet owner that races pigeon a "de da" as our close neighbours in chesterfield call us, now this isnt a nasty dig at other parts of the uk just a bit of fun, something that makes me smile; ever wondered what other people hear when you speak just record your voice and play it back, you will surprise yourself at the noise you emit, so hear we go then, brummies now theres an accent that has me in stiches, its a strange high pitch whine that sounds like they are having issues pooing, Liverpool people have a similar twang with that high pitch drawl which is odd as blackpool doesnt, the south of england or norfolk has a really laid back affair when speaking as does the south west, ive spoken to Timmytree and his accent is a real calming one, i carnt help but think he chew's a piece of grass all day long, i know its wrong to stereotype people and i carnt stress enough this isnt a racist dig,its just an observation that makes me smile after all i think i have have probably the worse accent of them all

darran77

Re: Regional accents

Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:24 pm

Funny thing about dialect's is that one can pick them up when one spends enough time with those who speak different to ones self.
Now i is a Yorkshire lad and just in this area we have a wide range of dialect's, from the coastal areas coming in land past Ull,
and up Ouse where it is broken up slightly between Ull and Donny, with a sprinkling of York. But then you have your north Yorkshire accents
and south Yorkshire ones too, not forgetting Barnsley, bye eck lad.
I have probably missed a few out, but no offense meant .
daz
IFAC member

Katzenjammer

Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:54 am

Pointing out differences in the regional accents of the British Isles isn't really racist is it? Our accents developed over centuries amongst people of the same racial background wherever they invaded us from i.e. Caucasian. The fact that others of different races (Negroid, Mongoloid) have absorbed our varied accents is not surprising given that they and more particularly their children or grandchildren live and go to school in particular areas. The young will naturally pick up the accent of those they mix with. Adults may do that to in order to fit in? People need to stop abusing and misusing the word "Racist" imo. It cheapens the real meaning of the word and lets some in society use it accusingly in situations that are not really racist?

My father was an English teacher who has lived in Yorkshire for most of his adult life but doesn't have a Yorkshire accent. But he doesn't speak poshly and tbh I would be hard pressed to say what accent he had given he has lived in Lincolnshire, Lancashire and Somerset as a lad. On the other hand my sister does speak posh as she is a dreadful snob and has driven any trace of Northern roots out of her manner of speech. In fact my daughter and I say she talks like something out of Enid Blyton with "ghastly" and "beastly" in virtually every sentence!!* :lol: Me? I speak in a North Riding of Yorkshire accent mainly and am proud of it but it is mingled with Teesside, Durham and Geordiewhyayehinnypet occasionally and Pit Yackerese thanks to Patg! :mrgreen:

I don't agree that the Southern accent is laid back in the main given that most think only of London or Essex under such a heading. I give you that the real Kentish accent and many of those other southern counties could be labelled such but not the "ghastly" accents of London and Essex. I stayed in a Premier Inn in Liverpool recently and whilst I could understand the majority of the staff there was a one lass I and many others could not understand. She supported Everton so a Liverpool supporter may claim that explains it? That was an example of when she may need to change her accent to meet the target audience?
ATB
Steve
Member since Autumn 2007

roadrunner

Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:07 pm

Just covering the race card there Katzenjammer,i know it isnt racist but i wanted to point that out clearly before i took the pizz

Katzenjammer

Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:49 pm

roadrunner wrote:Just covering the race card there Katzenjammer,i know it isnt racist but i wanted to point that out clearly before i took the pizz

Gosh we have to be so careful now eh? Mind you your post gave me a good laugh there :D :mrgreen:
ATB
Steve
Member since Autumn 2007

roadrunner

Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:21 pm

I carnt comment iam broad yorkshire through and through so iam expecting some backlash ha ha

Katzenjammer

Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:26 pm

Any Yorkshire dialect is superior to all the other dialects of the British Isles. It is patently obvious and should go without saying really. The sooner other regions and especially the Geordies realise that then the better it will be ;)

I can see you lurking Gordon :lol:
ATB
Steve
Member since Autumn 2007

Geordie

Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:41 pm

Katzenjammer wrote:I can see you lurking Gordon

I was waiting for the baited hook to be cast my way :lol: ;)
AA s410K .177
BSA R10 .177 Super carbine. (Blacky)

Katzenjammer

Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:44 pm

Didn't want to disappoint you Gordon. Hope you feeling a bit better?
ATB
Steve
Member since Autumn 2007

Geordie

Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:49 pm

Katzenjammer wrote:Didn't want to disappoint you Gordon. Hope you feeling a bit better?

Im feeling a bit better thanks Steve. It'll be a while before Im bck on me feet but im getting there.

I'm really broad Geordie, I find it difficult not to be so. I don't travel, so Im usually speaking with people of my tongue. :oops: :oops: :oops:
AA s410K .177
BSA R10 .177 Super carbine. (Blacky)