Liver &/or kidney-can I just point out!

Sake-san

Re: Liver &/or kidney-can I just point out!

Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:48 pm

GrandadG wrote:
Raj wrote:Tongue ? .......... Chicken Feet? .............. Penis?
Excuse me ........ I feel sick :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

My wife likes tongue :mrgreen:

Well to stay on the food theme, I believe it was Meatloaf who sang "Two out of three ain't bad" ;)
Last edited by Sake-san on Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10-50x60
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10x42
TX200 test / analysis gun

darran77

Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:51 pm

Having worked in an abattoir some years ago I have seen the processes of the food chain and can say the best bit's from a cow are ,
Cheek and skirt, the first is obvious and the second is what is also called the diaphragm , absolutely yummy in a pie.
Although all offal is good but you can't beat a good munch an cow heels.
daz
IFAC member

no avatar
Triumph

Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:27 pm

Spinach.. Yurckk.

Caviar... Why?

Any sewage filtering shellfish... Where's thSPLURG toilet, too late.

Flourescent sports drinks.... nothing that colour should ever go inside a living body.

no avatar
Brooksy

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:41 pm

I worked in a butcher's shop after I left school and liver and kidney arrived in what looked like large paint containers, when you opened them they stank, it put me off for life but I could never get over the texture anyway. Liver in school always left me hungry as I wouldn't touch it. If you look at the predators in the world, they always go for the soft tissue first, often leaving the meat behind. Belly pork rules, but have you noticed how it trebbled in price when it came back into fashion?
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second one mouse that gets the cheese.

Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20, Light Stream 4.5X14X44 FFP.
AA S410 TDR .177, Yukon Photon XT with 135 mm lens conversion.

no avatar
gordon

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:50 pm

My Dad would never eat tongue, cos he said the cow had licked it`s arse :shock:
Professional Ferret Juggler

Katzenjammer

Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:01 pm

The liver of prey was eaten by humans in a raw state soon after the kill and still is in certain hunter gatherer communities. It gives raw energy as it is strong in certain vitamins. Dogs liver is not good however. Was it Mawson who ate his sled dogs liver and got poisoned or some of his team?

It was

"After a brief service, Mawson and Mertz turned back immediately. They had one week's provisions for two men and no dog food but plenty of fuel and a primus. They sledged for 27 hours continuously to obtain a spare tent cover they had left behind, for which they improvised a frame from skis and a theodolite. Their lack of provisions forced them to use their remaining sled dogs to feed the other dogs and themselves:
"Their meat was stringy, tough and without a vestige of fat. For a change we sometimes chopped it up finely, mixed it with a little pemmican, and brought all to the boil in a large pot of water. We were exceedingly hungry, but there was nothing to satisfy our appetites. Only a few ounces were used of the stock of ordinary food, to which was added a portion of dog's meat, never large, for each animal yielded so very little, and the major part was fed to the surviving dogs. They crunched the bones and ate the skin, until nothing remained."[7]
There was a quick deterioration in the men's physical condition during this journey. Both men suffered dizziness; nausea; abdominal pain; irrationality; mucosal fissuring; skin, hair, and nail loss; and the yellowing of eyes and skin. Later Mawson noticed a dramatic change in his travelling companion. Mertz seemed to lose the will to move and wished only to remain in his sleeping bag. He began to deteriorate rapidly with diarrhoea and madness. On one occasion Mertz refused to believe he was suffering from frostbite and bit off the tip of his own little finger. This was soon followed by violent raging—Mawson had to sit on his companion's chest and hold down his arms to prevent him from damaging their tent. Mertz suffered further seizures before falling into a coma and dying on 8 January 1913.[8]

It was unknown at the time that Husky liver contains extremely high levels of vitamin A. It was also not known that such levels of vitamin A could cause liver damage to humans.[9] With six dogs between them (with a liver on average weighing 1 kg), it is thought that the pair ingested enough liver to bring on a condition known as Hypervitaminosis A. However, Mertz may have suffered more because he found the tough muscle tissue difficult to eat and therefore ate more of the liver than Mawson.[10] It is of interest to note that in Inuit tradition the dog's liver is never eaten. While both men suffered, Mertz suffered chronically."
ATB
Steve
Member since Autumn 2007

Raj

Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:08 pm

gordon wrote:My Dad would never eat tongue, cos he said the cow had licked it`s arse :shock:

Hahaha .... If you eat a 'mechanically rendered meat' sausage, you get the pleasure of tongue, arse, ears, tits, eye lids, ball sacks, lungs, diaphragm and other more private parts all at once !!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanica ... rated_meat

Even better ... eat chicken nuggets and you get meat slurry :oops: :P https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meat_slurry
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

Katzenjammer

Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:26 pm

MRM - mechanically recovered meat. The residue steamed off the bones.

Tindale and Stanton Pies Ltd visit way back in the 80's on the Hobson Industrial Estate. Ged, my colleague, and I were given some pies. As we drove off away from the factory he said "do you want these?" I said "NO!" Out the window they went. The crows settled on to the remains so they didn't go to waste.
ATB
Steve
Member since Autumn 2007

Raj

Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:56 pm

Aye ... I also remember your post about Soylent Green on the old forum, Steve !! ;)
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

Katzenjammer

Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:05 am

Aye so much was lost when the old forum went down :(

I don't know why this thought drifted into my mind but one of the stinkiest factories I ever visited was in Blaydon on Tyne - Pola Industries I think it was called. They processed and cleaned scallop shells for the restaurant industry. Youngs Seafoods delivered the shells by the wagonload and they cleaned the residual matter off them and sterilised them. The acrid stench of rotting shellfish clung to me for days it seemed. I experienced it again in a crab processing factory near Plymouth. Yuk
ATB
Steve
Member since Autumn 2007