servicing the car.

no avatar
zippy

servicing the car.

Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:45 pm

As we all know Garage prices are not cheap, Mind you, I can understand why?, with new cars been much more complex and no help from manufactures to lay out and accessibility of components to be repaired even changing a fog light bulb means some bumper removal or the wheel has to come off just to change a bulb. Renault been the Biggest offender of the most difficult, inconvenient Bulb change on any car... :shock:

I used to work for a VW, dealership in my younger days, I enjoyed working on cars them days it was fun and satisfying and it paid the bill's... :lol:

my, BMW, e90 Is getting older now so I do my own servicing, Just to show you what is involved just to change a mere Air filter, crazy,,, see bellow.
All this just to change my bloody Air filter on my BMW no wounder they charge so much at the garage, see bellow... :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xugiDqRkEB4 Just to change an Air Filter com-on.... :lol:

I also did all this, bellow,,, now for a beer and curry.... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVUYp45SZs8

The joys of motoring Eh!..... :lol:

no avatar
neil

Re: servicing the car.

Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:52 pm

you`ve never done the spark plugs on a v12 jag then, not all the older cars were easier(a v8 sunbeam tiger was worse, never again)

Blackbaronfish

Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:17 am

I couldn't believe what had to come off. You wouldnt want a dodgy garage saying they have replaced it as you would never know :o . A peep hole would have been good :idea: .

In the 70.s a friend of the family had a Jaguar and i remember how crammed the engine was. We had an old Commer van and that was easy for my Dad to work on. The cover came of in the cab and he used to fiddle with the carb as we drove along. There were loads of room to warm your chips :mrgreen:

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
zippy

Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:13 pm

Agreed mate, However , BMW have reverted back to the fitter been in a box at the side of the engine were you just undo a few clips hoover out the dirt wipe out with WD,40 and push in the filter.. Job done. BMW have gone back to this old design , Thank goodness.

Mind you, BMW have done away with the dipstick to check oil, It's now checked through the dash computer telling the owner how much oil to put in. This oil checking is done trough the BMW I,Dive computer ect.

What BMW did was, they made servicing periods and miles much longer service intervals, but more things are done and changed with been longer periods between servicing.

To be totally honest, I would never leave my oil change that long between changes it is just far to long and too many miles for the turbo bearings to be lubricated properly.
BMW dealership charge well over £100 to change the oil and filter, This however is a very easy job to do on most BMW'S.

You would not believe the complex and difficult, head busting, Jobs I have done on cars over the years. Manufactures are only interested in selling points and keep the emissions low for government low tax rebate, not the poor chap trying to repair the thing.
Last edited by zippy on Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Air Arms tx200hc, mtc taipan, 4-16X50
Air Arms tx200hc, falcon menace, 4-14x44 FFP
Air Arms Pro-sport, mtc mamber
Air Arms TDR, falcon menace 10x44
HW 100t falcon menace 4-14X44 FFP
HW 100t richer optics
HW 97KT
HW 45 Geordie custom grips
Alecto

no avatar
wastrel

Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:31 pm

best one I heard, this is 100% true guys- a VW polo 1.6 gti needs the front bumper & part of the RHS engine removing to replace (drumroll please)
a wing mounted indicator repeater bulb!
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

rogers1

Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:56 am

it's actually quite dismaying watching that vid clip. I used to do all my own servicing, up to and including clutch changes etc, particularly when I owned SAAB's exclusively for 30 years.

But, once GM got hold of SAAB, they too turned to utter shyte to work on.
My old 900 range (and earlier 99's, 94's etc) were so easy to work on and so accessible it was unreal.
I could climb into the frontal area of the 900 to change the clutch there was so much room.

Duncs

I have a Mondeo that I have to part dismantle to change light bulbs.
AA TX200 MkIII in .177 with a Viper
AA Ultimate Sporter in .177, JSR scope
Weihrauch HW45 in .177, No glass, save my old, weary eyes....

no avatar
neil

Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:25 am

rogers1 wrote:it's actually quite dismaying watching that vid clip. I used to do all my own servicing, up to and including clutch changes etc, particularly when I owned SAAB's exclusively for 30 years.

But, once GM got hold of SAAB, they too turned to utter shyte to work on.
My old 900 range (and earlier 99's, 94's etc) were so easy to work on and so accessible it was unreal.
I could climb into the frontal area of the 900 to change the clutch there was so much room.

Duncs

I have a Mondeo that I have to part dismantle to change light bulbs.

fords are an absolute doddle to change bulbs on compared to most other modern cars, lamps out in a few seconds on most of them, wait til you need to change a pollen filter on a Renault, If I won the lottery i`d pay someone else to change one of those sob`s even though I've been on the spanners for years and worked in a Renault dealers, I hate those bloody things more than landrovers

roadrunner

Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:20 pm

Gentlemen welcome to my world

no avatar
FPoole

Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:42 pm

The right rear plug on a 390 c.i. V-8 Ford pick-up is also pretty bad. We once did the job and found that the first 2-3 garage jobs had failed to remove that one original plug. You have to drop the fuel tank on most cars to change the pump, but my old 69 Buick Riviera had a hole and removable plate to do the job with ease. Of course, it never went bad.