TT Grand Prix

no avatar
piggy589

Re: TT Grand Prix

Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:18 pm

[quote="Geordie"]Just getting right into the usual unbelievable programs. Just wondered if anyone actually had a friend or relative competing this year?

Two of the three TT racers I know are dead,one killed on the mountain course in 2011 :( .
The survivor holds fifty replicas and still finds time to assist his son and daughter with their motorcycle business :) .
His rolling gait tells a tale of severe injuries incurred when racing.

no avatar
air gun

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:02 pm

French biker Franck Petricola has been killed during a qualifying session for the Isle of Man TT races.

Petricola, 32, from Pont a Mousson, died on Wednesday night after an accident at Sulby Crossroads during the qualifying session of the TT fortnight.

It would have been the first race at the track for the Frenchman, who was due to make his TT debut last year but pulled out after being badly injured at the North West 200 race in Northern Ireland.

He suffered multiple fractures and a head injury and was in a coma for several days, but recovered fully to take part in the this year's event last month ahead of the TT races.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.

Geordie

Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:08 pm

Quite a sobering event :(

Inevitable really though, considering what it takes to participate in such a challenge.

Condolences to his family.
AA s410K .177
BSA R10 .177 Super carbine. (Blacky)

no avatar
air gun

Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:10 pm

Geordie wrote:Quite a sobering event :(

Inevitable really though, considering what it takes to participate in such a challenge.

Condolences to his family.

im not sure how it has not been banned tbh.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.

no avatar
Gixxerboy

Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:52 pm

Why should it be banned?? No one is forced to ride there. They all do it for the challenge. People die driving the roads of Britain every day and nobody wants to see driving banned.

no avatar
air gun

Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:01 am

Gixxerboy wrote:Why should it be banned?? No one is forced to ride there. They all do it for the challenge. People die driving the roads of Britain every day and nobody wants to see driving banned.

its like saying for 1 day per year anyone with a fast car can drive flat out on a stretch of road.i saw a clip on you tube of a rider coming over a dip flat out about 60 yards from a pub. he hit the wall and killed himself. the rought they ride is not safe for high speed racing. its a road not a race track.

no avatar
Gixxerboy

Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:12 am

Its nothing like that at all. Its not a free for all and not just anyone can turn up and race there. There are extensive criteria that have to be met before you can even apply to race there. The rider you mention in your quote, Bob Price, was an experienced rider who'd raced there for many years and knew what he had signed up for. People die in the boxing ring, people die in accidents while out shooting, people die fishing, people die while out jogging. Do you want to see all these banned too?

no avatar
air gun

Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:27 am

Gixxerboy wrote:Its nothing like that at all. Its not a free for all and not just anyone can turn up and race there. There are extensive criteria that have to be met before you can even apply to race there.

but that don't change the rought the riders have to race on. the dips in the road and corners are not made for high speed racing. im surprised the health and safty people have not banned it.

no avatar
air gun

Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:30 am

The TT races are extremely dangerous because riders achieve high speeds on very narrow, twisting streets, roads and lanes flanked by stone walls and buildings. Between 1907 and 2015 there have been 246 rider competitor fatalities during official practices or races on the Snaefell Mountain Course (this number includes the riders killed during the Manx Grand Prix and Isle of Man Clubman TT races). The worst year for fatalities was 1970 when six riders lost their lives at the TT. Another racer died at the Manx Grand Prix later in the same year.

Due to the ongoing dangers and safety concerns, doubts are expressed every year over the future of the TT[citation needed]. As a road course when racing is not in progress, it is used for normal public traffic. The Sunday between practice week and race week is known as "Mad Sunday" where many members of the public ride the course, the mountain section from Ramsey to Douglas is one way with speed limits for this day.[27] In 2012 there were just four accidents on the open day; while in previous years there had been dozens.[citation needed]

In 2013, a rider lost control on the first lap of the Senior TT, and his machine hit spectators near the bottom of Bray Hill, close to the start area on the outskirts of Douglas. Eleven were injured

no avatar
Gixxerboy

Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:38 am

And the point of that^^^^^ is what?????

Your completely missing the point of what the TT is about. It's not meant to be easy. The "dips in the road and the corners" are what the challenge is all about. "It's not made for high speed racing" so that is what makes it what it is. If it was easy then anyone could do it. You say "its a road and not a race track" but people still get killed on purpose designed race tracks with run off and gravel traps and all the H&S measures they can throw at it.