The moggies

Timmytree

Re: The moggies

Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:23 pm

raygun wrote:There are around 8.5 million cats in the U.K.

If each cat kills one songbird a week they collectively kill 425 million songbirds a year.
Why are they not on the vermin list for protection of songbirds ?

ATB
Ray.

What political party would commit suicide by bringing in that legislation?
I've had this argument so many times and I understand the frustration of non cat owners and bird lovers. Just for the sake of argument I counter with "survival of the fittest" and the example of the dopey blackbird that builds a nest 2ft off the ground and loses her chicks to a cat. The cat may have done blackbirds a favour by removing a clutch that carries the gene of a gormless parent.
Our cats have had very few songbirds, certainly not 4 a week between them, they do upset the crows, magpies and jackdaws though so maybe they have saved more songbirds than they've caught?
As for mammals? We trap, poison and shoot rats, poison and trap mice, kill moles, shoot, snare and ferret for rabbits, many people will kill weasels and stoats on sight. It's not natural for us to target these animals because we have no intention of eating most of them and they rarely pose a threat directly to us do they? Cats do what is natural to them, not out of cruelty, certainly most of what ours catch gets eaten with just a few bits left as presents for us.
I would agree with some kind of "cat control" though, Clare is well on the way to becoming "The mad cat lady!" :mrgreen:

Geordie

Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:23 pm

raygun wrote:There are around 8.5 million cats in the U.K.

If each cat kills one songbird a week they collectively kill 425 million songbirds a year.
Why are they not on the vermin list for protection of songbirds ?

ATB
Ray.

I've heard the figures mentioned before Ray. Staggering isn't it! :shock:
A lot of cat owners refuse to believe that their Tiddles is a fekin mass murderer :lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember watching some program where they put a kitty cam on a few cats. The owners were in sheer disbelief :roll:
AA s410K .177
BSA R10 .177 Super carbine. (Blacky)

no avatar
Baldiloks

Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:24 pm

Muddy footprints on the car.

Death penalty me thinks.

Geordie

Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:43 pm

I dont recall domestic (when they fancy being domesticated) cats being an indigenous species Tim. They are here because folk keep them as pets. Thats my argument! They get a pass because folk say they're just doing what comes natural to them. Would it be OK if I let my terrier (if I owned one) out for the night to wipe out your dopey chickens? I think not, and you could bet your bollocks that I'd have the whole streets chicken owners knock ing my door down!

Why is it OK for cats to kill ? We have allotments near by where there are quite a few pigeon fanciers who have battled with cats as far back as I can remember. I can remember when I was a kid what an old guy said to me. "The only good cat is at the bottom of a leek trench".

Now I'm not saying its a good idea to go killing cats, I wouldnt do it! But I can see these folks point!

They should be kept under control! If you want a cat, fine, but you should as its owner, be accountable for your pet.
AA s410K .177

Timmytree

Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:22 pm

Geordie wrote:I dont recall domestic (when they fancy being domesticated) cats being an indigenous species Tim. They are here because folk keep them as pets. Thats my argument! They get a pass because folk say they're just doing what comes natural to them. Would it be OK if I let my terrier (if I owned one) out for the night to wipe out your dopey chickens? I think not, and you could bet your bollocks that I'd have the whole streets chicken owners knock ing my door down!

Why is it OK for cats to kill ? We have allotments near by where there are quite a few pigeon fanciers who have battled with cats as far back as I can remember. I can remember when I was a kid what an old guy said to me. "The only good cat is at the bottom of a leek trench".

Now I'm not saying its a good idea to go killing cats, I wouldnt do it! But I can see these folks point!

They should be kept under control! If you want a cat, fine, but you should as its owner, be accountable for your pet.

Actually Geordie, I agree. I'm a dog man but I tolerate the cats because of Clare and Morgan has a very genuine attachment to his own cat. I think they should be kept in or at least restricted to their own gardens but as I said before, no party will ever bring that on and risk upsetting the blue rinse brigade. I've had the same argument with my neighbour, he hates cats, his wife likes them. I told him to use whatever means he needs to dissuade ours from his garden apart from hurting them seriously. Fine, but when he puts cat food out for the hedgehogs it may be a risk that a moggy will smell it and nip in for a free meal and then dump in the flower bed!
Bring in the laws to restrict cat ownership and the numbers will fall drastically. Over to your MP?

Geordie

Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:34 pm

Licence the fekers! That may at least discourage these crazy old bints from keeping 15 of the things.

I dont have the answers, but I think the current situation should be improved upon. Another thing that boils my piss is when one of these almost feral cats gets a pellet up its arris. Me , Mr genuine responsible airgun owner is the first port of call. It beggars belief that I dare not show myself and my cat killing weapons in my own back yard because of casual fookin cat owners in my street!!!

I'll leave it at that now Tim, I'm beat :lol: :lol:
AA s410K .177

raygun

Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:51 pm

I never get cats in my garden :lol:

ATB
Ray.