Ev2 mk1 help!! barrel shot off!!

no avatar
woogie

Ev2 mk1 help!! barrel shot off!!

Mon May 25, 2015 10:02 pm

Well guys I am in need of some major help.

I have just cleaned the barrel on my ev2. And to put a few pellets through her just to get all the extra oils and wet gunk out of the barrel. After two shots I noticed that the pellet were all over the place, at 10 yards. Continued to shoot thinking it was just the excess oils coming out of the barrel. Went to fire a few more outlets and was starting to notice that the pellet became extremely hard to push into the chamber with the bolt. On one shot there was a dull pffft, thinking I had lodged a pellet in the barrel I removed my ldc, and inserted my cleaning rod down the barrel....complete pass through no obstruction. Thinking it was just a really tight pellet, I loaded another. Pellet loaded fine, no pressure loading. Lined up the shot squeezed the trigger and heard a metal clank?!?! Looked at the rifle and only noticed the air cylinder....what the heck!!!

Looked over my barrel and there was no damage. Luckily everything landed on a piece of cardboard. I removed my scope, to get to the three set screws on the front part of the receiver. Removed the three screws and noticed that only one held the barrel in place, and the other two held in a brass thimble. Looking at the barrel I noticed the dimples at the breech end. I inserted the barrel with these three in the up position, but quickly found out that they wouldn't match up to the set screw location. When measuring the hole and the dimples, there is no way the three dimples will line up with the set screw hole. So I figured the barrel was friction fit into the receiver, lines everything up and test fired a few shots. Heard the distinct muffled sound again, next shot held on to the barrel....sure enough it did it again!

Now I am getting upset. There is no oils or anything on the barrel, inside the receiver, or anywhere else. I am at a loss at why Air Arms would use a fiction set screw, let alone a single one. I am in need of some help. The rifle only has a little over 500 round through it and I want her to shoot.

Any thoughts or ideas guys??

Thanks

no avatar
woogie

Re: Ev2 mk1 help!! barrel shot off!!

Wed May 27, 2015 1:21 am

Well decided to try something....attempted to index the barrel, and I found the spot it shot the best. But having to reset the barrel after every shot was a pain. So I looked at the rifle again and noticed that the barrel cone, the past that makes the barrel to the receiver. Noticed that the set screw wasn't even touching the barrel!!! So in other words there was NO BARREL SECUREMENT of any kind. I marked the spot on the barrel and took it over to my lathe. Used my o-ring grooving tool to make a retaining groove in the barrel, smacked out the barrel cone and opened up the hole for the set screw. Now tomorrow at work tomorrow I will grab a much longer set screw and make sure that barrel won't come out!

Not sure if this is a common problem with the mk1's or not, but figure out may help someone.

Blackbaronfish

Wed May 27, 2015 5:06 am

Words fail me. Is it the original barrel or has it been replaced.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
woogie

Wed May 27, 2015 1:42 pm

It is the original barrel, the s200 barrel.

Lucky I have access to tools and material. I am going to make a stainless steel collar for the barrel that will also hold the end of a carbon tube for a shroud. Going to make this thing rock solid.

Raj

Thu May 28, 2015 6:33 am

That is pathetic for a top of the range model ... :( I am ashamed that this is a British product.
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

no avatar
woogie

Thu May 28, 2015 8:17 pm

It comes with anything that is mass produced.

At least I have the items to fix the issue. I have already cut a spot in the barrel for the set screw. Have a longer set screw that will hold better in the receiver. May make a part out of stainless to hold the barrel as well as extend out to hopefully add a carbon fiber shroud.

Already have a rimfire silencer on the end of the barrel now, and would like to use it.... will work on something.

Raj

Fri May 29, 2015 10:48 pm

True that ..... In my observation of humanity it can be broadly classified into two groups. Those who cry and moan when things dont go to plan and those that fix things and make them fit their plan 8-) :)
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"