S410 sticky charging valve

no avatar
dave h

S410 sticky charging valve

Thu May 21, 2015 6:19 am

Well I got the S410 out yesterday to charge up prior to some ratting tonight.
Upon disconnecting the air line there was a faint but distinct, and depressing, hissing sound of air leaking from somewhere :cry:
I quickly discovered that it was actually just venting back out through the end of the valve on the cylinder? Tried reconnecting a couple of times, and pushing the pressure up slightly to see if that would change anything. Nope.
So left it hissing away to itself overnight...
This morning it had stopped at about 80 bar, having dropped from 180.
Upon reconnecting the adaptor there was the sound of leaking air but when I put a small charge in it held this time? Took it back up to 170 bar and no leaking. :?

If this just the valve being sticky?
It is one of the old style, pre T bar connections.
Am I best leaving alone (knowing it will do this again at the most inconvenient time possible) or strip it out for a clean or whatever is required?
And if I do have the valve off the cylinder, am I better to replace it with the new AA T bar version, or a Best Fittings conversion kit?

How tricky is it to get the valve assembly off anyway? (Once I have managed to vent all the air out of the cylinder, safety first :shock: )

Blackbaronfish

Re: S410 sticky charging valve

Thu May 21, 2015 6:53 am

Its never a bad thing to have one as a spare. Julian Bond is the man. I also have one of the old style valves which I give a good blast of air to keep things free.
Fitting a new one is very easy.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Outandabout

Thu May 21, 2015 8:48 am

I had the exact sme issue. Julian supplied a spare. Which I used not very long after receiving.
Better to spend a couple of £ and have 1 handy or even replace it and keep the older 1 as a spare when you have had a look at it.
Mine actualy had a very small flat spot on the ball which was allowing air to pass when the flat spot was in the right or wrong position.
Easy fix though - just replace it.
Kevin

no avatar
dave h

Fri May 22, 2015 6:30 am

Thanks guys, looks like a phone call to Julian is in order to get a replacement and keep the current one as a spare.

Glad the rifle decided to sort itself out, meant the trip last night to do a favour ended with S410 (1) - Rats (0) :D