which silencer would members recommend?

no avatar
wastrel

which silencer would members recommend?

Mon May 18, 2015 7:39 pm

I`ve 3 rifles fitted with 3 different silencers, a QGS (raider 10) a whisper (LGU) and I`m reliably informed by members, a Weihrauch model (with no markings on it whatsoever) on my S200, thing is, they all work, & really quite well I hafta say, I`ve fired all of them with & without the silencer fitted & the difference really is astonishing!
so, do all silencers do a brilliant job, or are there some out there that need to be heard (so to speak) to realise what difference a really good silencer makes?
saw a link on a site recently pointing a member to some Matt W fellow who apparently does a brilliant job of making them, & if memory serves, I read recently some airgun manufacturer (I`m nearly sure it was AA!) was supplying new silencers they claimed were the quietest ever?
the Hugget silencers are 4 times the cost of matts, but the engineering & finish of them is 4 times nicer IMO, whether they`re 4 times quieter?
Last edited by wastrel on Tue May 19, 2015 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

no avatar
Zeewulf

Re: which silencer would members recommend?

Mon May 18, 2015 9:09 pm

My father has just fitted a Huggett Belita to his MPR FT and have to say it's damn quiet, it's also none specific to size so you can use it on .22 or .177 (so even better value for money). It also looks damn fine too ... lol
Air Arms MPR FT

raygun

Mon May 18, 2015 9:18 pm

Silencers will perform differently on different rifles. It depends a lot on how a particular rifle is set up and how much excess air is expelled.

Most silencers seem to do a decent job and also mostly you would not hear the discharge 10 mtrs away.
Calibre specific ones are probably the better performer but to be honest I wouldn't be fussed. If you want quiet then a bog standard silencer will do enough of a job.

If you want fancy with it then you'll more than likely pay a premium but that's your choice.

ATB
Ray.

no avatar
tony1

Mon May 18, 2015 10:14 pm

think hw mods are hard to beat got one one my mfr rapid very quite just how i like my hunting gun, tried it on my tx hc with an adapter it made a big diference.

no avatar
fiestazetecmk2

Tue May 19, 2015 7:33 am

Thought a tx hc didn't need one,read somewhere that didn't make any difference,?not got one so really can't say,
Tx200hc.22 .cs1000 stock,hawke varmint sf 6-24-44

no avatar
Midasi1

Tue May 19, 2015 7:41 am

My TX200HC has an Air Arms fitted, BSA Ultra SE a Deben 180 (kept back from sales of old CO2 rifle) & HW100 KT came with its own moderator.

That leaves me a spare from my early days - nope not sure whose.....
Why be awkward, when with a bit of effort you can be really impossible!

no avatar
fiestazetecmk2

Tue May 19, 2015 8:15 am

They look ugly with silencer fitted,my opinion only though.
Tx200hc.22 .cs1000 stock,hawke varmint sf 6-24-44

no avatar
oyster

Tue May 19, 2015 1:10 pm

Some guns do not shoot as well as without a silencer or muzzle brake. A Daystate LR90 with the factory silencer is very quiet and no difference on poi. Similarly, a Daystate MK4 with a full Huggett shroud and silencer shoots perfectly, the only sound is the hammer strike. An LGU with a home made moderator in the barrel bulge reduced the noise significantly with no change to poi. An AA S400 with a AA silencer dropped a full mildot, but did make it much more quiet. A S200 with the factory supplied, matched silencer was more quiet, but lost about half a mill dot. The same gun with a Qtec silencer was almost silent but for the hammer strike, but also lost about half a mildot. I thought the new Weihrauch silencer was the one to own, but I now believe the Qtec is the top one. I have had no experience of Matty's silencers. It is worth bearing in mind the purpose of the silencer is to be able to shoot without warning the quarry of your presence.
S400 MPR
S200T
DS Regal
HW77
HW77K
HW97K
BSA Goldstar SE
HW100

no avatar
zippy

Tue May 19, 2015 2:54 pm

wastrel wrote:I`ve 3 rifles fitted with 3 different silencers, a QGS (raider 10) a whisper (LGU) and I`m reliably informed by members, a Weihrauch model (with no markings on it whatsoever) on my S200, thing is, they all work, & really quite well I hafta say, I`ve fired all of them with & without the silencer fitted & the difference really is astonishing!
so, do all silencers do a brilliant job, or are there some out there that need to be heard (so to speak) to realise what difference a really good silencer makes?
saw a link on a site recently pointing a member to some Matt W fellow who apparently does a brilliant job of making them, & if memory serves, I read recently some airgun manufacturer was supplying new silencers they claimed were the quietest ever?
the Hugget silencers are 4 times the cost of matts, but the engineering & finish of them is 4 times nicer IMO, whether they`re 4 times quieter?

The Weihrauch moderator is the best hands down, it is fitted as standard to all HW,100 models. this is with out doubt the best silencer on the market.

After seeing, trying out and listening to all types of Moderators at the club range from loads of different Manufactures including ones from huggett and the very new Air Arms silencer/mod. the Weihrauch for price and performance was the best and you can easily take the Weihrauch mod apart for cleaning.

Most peoples opinion including mine and the lads at the club would agree for price, performance which is superb, along with the weight, the HW, mod weighs next to nothing.
everyone says the Weihrauch mod is the best by far for everything even better than more expensive aftermarket combined shroud and silencer.
Air Arms tx200hc, mtc taipan, 4-16X50
Air Arms tx200hc, falcon menace, 4-14x44 FFP
Air Arms Pro-sport, mtc mamber
Air Arms TDR, falcon menace 10x44
HW 100t falcon menace 4-14X44 FFP
HW 100t richer optics
HW 97KT
HW 45 Geordie custom grips
Alecto

no avatar
doggo

Tue May 19, 2015 4:42 pm

Got a swift stumpy on my r10 60mm shorter than a hw and very quite £40 .