No Wonder It Was Stiff!

no avatar
Brooksy

No Wonder It Was Stiff!

Mon May 18, 2015 4:46 pm

I've been playing with an AA TDR .177 for a week or two and the cocking action was awful to say the least. The gun is 3 years old. Stripped the block today and there was rust on the hammer guide and inside the hammer. An hour with the Autosol and some PTFE dry slide spray and it's a dream now. Just goes to show, one bit of moisture in the wrong place and you're potentially looking at a big bill.

By the way, on this TDR there is a nasty little problem accessing one of the screws when trying to remove the bolt and barrel housing from the firing valve, AA have fitted one of the screws with an anti tamper cap. I don't see why as there is no way to adjust the power in this area, maybe it's to make you go back to them or one of their franchisees.

If any body needs to know more, PM me. ;)
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second one mouse that gets the cheese.

Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20, Light Stream 4.5X14X44 FFP.
AA S410 TDR .177, Yukon Photon XT with 135 mm lens conversion.

Blackbaronfish

Re: No Wonder It Was Stiff!

Mon May 18, 2015 6:28 pm

Well done finding the problem 8-) . Its amazing where the moisture can end up.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Brooksy

Re: No Wonder It Was Stiff!

Mon May 18, 2015 8:10 pm

The TDR hammer housing is open at the back so it won't take much for water to get in there. I do have to say though, Autosol is an astounding polish. As for the PTFE dry slide spray, I've always used it on the bolt and hammer in my Rapid, actually, I applied it 3 years ago and it's still as smooth as silk.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second one mouse that gets the cheese.

Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20, Light Stream 4.5X14X44 FFP.
AA S410 TDR .177, Yukon Photon XT with 135 mm lens conversion.