pro sport v S410

no avatar
air gun

pro sport v S410

Sun May 17, 2015 12:21 am

ive not had a good springer for years. and looking at some vids on youtube tonight I saw a few on the pro sport. in walnut stock the pro sport at the airgun centre is £570. but you can buy a S410 walnut stock for £690. not a big difference in price. so my question is. how good is the pro sport v the S410. £570 seems big money for a spring gun. is it worth it. or is the little extra spent on the S410 a better deal.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.

no avatar
gary martin

Re: pro sport v S410

Sun May 17, 2015 8:45 am

add the price of the cylinder to the price of the 410

Blackbaronfish

Sun May 17, 2015 8:58 am

The TX has been going for over 30 years and has proven its self time after time. Getting to know your spring gun will get the best from it. At the end of the day they are both very accurate.

Be aware of the man with one gun ;)

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

Timmytree

Sun May 17, 2015 9:00 am

It may seem expensive but the PS is pretty much the top of the tree when it comes to springers. You could cut the cost down by going for beech instead of walnut, personally I prefer beech, it's easier to look after. Look around for prices too, AGC are never the cheapest.
As Gary said, you have to factor in the price of a bottle/pump/air with a PCP and no matter what anyone says there is more to go wrong on them. A springer just lets you get out without hassle and shoot as much as you want without worrying about air.
As for accuracy? The PS is better than the shooter, if you really bond with one it will astound you.

Just a thought, are you going to the meet? If so there will be a number of Prosports there including mine so if you want to go and play with it for a few hours you're more than welcome.

no avatar
gary martin

Sun May 17, 2015 9:43 am

pro sport, heavier, but just pick up rifle,slip and pellets your good to go. as Timmy said the PS will out shoot you, harder to shoot accurately than a PCP but more rewarding once you have mastered.
410, lighter, easier to shoot, need more equipment, more to go wrong the dreaded AT

Take your pick. go to a local shooting club, you will prob find examples, members will more than likely let you have a go, see which suits you best, buy that one, or if you dont like either make another list and repeat the exercise until you get the right setup.

no avatar
Ken G

Sun May 17, 2015 10:47 am

I have in order of purchase S400, SFS tuned HW97KT, and untouched pro Sport, all in .177, the one that I take out most is the pro sport which for me is better out of the box than the tuned HW97. As for accuracy I can get the best groups from the S400, although that is down to my shooting and not the gun, which one do I think is best value for money ? Pro Sport, which is easiest to use accurately ? S400, which do I get the most enjoyment from ? Pro Sport.
As already said if you can try first you will know. For me if I had bought the Pro Sport first I would have been happy with that alone.
Ken

Timmytree

Sun May 17, 2015 10:54 am

Ken G wrote:I have in order of purchase S400, SFS tuned HW97KT, and untouched pro Sport, all in .177, the one that I take out most is the pro sport which for me is better out of the box than the tuned HW97. As for accuracy I can get the best groups from the S400, although that is down to my shooting and not the gun, which one do I think is best value for money ? Pro Sport, which is easiest to use accurately ? S400, which do I get the most enjoyment from ? Pro Sport.
As already said if you can try first you will know. For me if I had bought the Pro Sport first I would have been happy with that alone.
Ken

That says it all!
I use the S200 as a carry around rifle, great for the rabbits. But for static hide shooting or just an afternoon paper punching you can't beat a really good springer.

no avatar
gary martin

Sun May 17, 2015 12:56 pm

to be fair, they are difficult to compare as chalk and cheese. both are superb examples of there breed. its down to which one you prefer. having said that, the pro sport is at the top or very near of its class the 410 somewhere a little lower down in its, (if you take into consideration target rifles).
you have not specified what branch of sport you intend its use for.
as stated before you require some method of charging the 410 which has a cost implication. divers cylinder is easier than pump, but has cost to fill and checked. you need to look at the factors involved.
which one are you leaning toward?

no avatar
Phil B

Sun May 17, 2015 5:00 pm

gary martin wrote:to be fair, they are difficult to compare as chalk and cheese. both are superb examples of there breed. its down to which one you prefer. having said that, the pro sport is at the top or very near of its class the 410 somewhere a little lower down in its, (if you take into consideration target rifles).
you have not specified what branch of sport you intend its use for.
as stated before you require some method of charging the 410 which has a cost implication. divers cylinder is easier than pump, but has cost to fill and checked. you need to look at the factors involved.
which one are you leaning toward?

I thought it was a slightly unusual comparison. I had an S400 and loved it, I have a TX now but would not wish to do a direct comparison.

roadrunner

Sun May 17, 2015 5:25 pm

I have days when the prosport shoots better than my 400
i would my prosport is 9 10ths as accurate, but i consider the 400 to be fragile,the times my barrel support has been bumped in transit oh and the barrel fouls after 200 shots and the power curve just makes the prosport more appealling