MPR Precision Needs Help

no avatar
Scrench

MPR Precision Needs Help

Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:39 pm

Hello Everyone.

Thanks for keeping the site going, and may I suggest adding a TECHNICAL section like we used to have, for questions like I am about to ask.

I use my MPR for 25m Light Varmint benchrest, but it randomly shoots from 7's to 10's in any direction, even with no wind, as it did yesterday. I'm holding it steady enough that the crosshair on my Bushnell Elite 4200 @ 32x does not move off of the 10 ring throughout the shot cycle, and gently squeeze the trigger with no side deflection. I can see the pellet in good light deviate from where it is supposed to be going. The scope and mounts are all tight, as is everything on the gun. I've experimented with about a dozen different pellets and JSB RS 7.3g which I have weighed to 1/10g seem to do the best, averaging around 790 fps. I've tried letting the barrel get "leaded", and tried cleaning it spotless, and it actually seems to be worse after a cleaning. It's really aggravating to know you held it on a 10 then get something, randomly, less. I fill it to 180 BAR, shoot off 5 shots, then begin a match, and it gives me 25 shots with an excellent velocity spread under 10 fps variation. I have an aftermarket LDC from TKO on it to make it backyard friendly which extends 5.5" but otherwise it is dead stock. I haven't experimented with removing the barrel band, but I don't know if that would help. Perhaps I haven't hit on the right pellet yet, although I've tried the entire lines of JSB, H&N, Crossman and RWS pellets. I keep thinking it's time to move on to a more accurate gun, but then I see guys shooting scores of 240-245 per round with theirs (although they are using the FT version). Maybe there is some tuner I can send it to to tighten it up, but how often does that really work?

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Scrench