charging your rifle

no avatar
tapps

charging your rifle

Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:53 am

i was told by my local RFD,it's best to charge your rifle using a cylinder rather than a stirrup pump as the air's cleaner,i have 2 cylinder's of which both are out of tests,i have a hills pump with a DRY PACK fitted,surely this would be ok to use.i always make certain the charging adapter is clean prior too use.due to certain circumstances i cant get the cylinders tested.

no avatar
Roger5

Re: charging your rifle

Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:33 am

Personally, I would only use a bottle, but the hills is probably the best pump,especially with the Dry Pack fitted,
You'll be ok, but get your bottles sorted, and use the pump as a back up

Blackbaronfish

Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:31 am

If you use your pump indoors there would be minimum moisture. Using a dry pack will reduce to almost nil.
I used a bog standard pump (before dry packs came out) for over a year and when looking in the cylinder there was not rust whatsoever.

I’m sure you will be able to see the advantages of using the pump to keep fit whilst in lockdown 😂
Stay safe
BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
tonyc

Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:40 pm

I've used pumps for years and not had issues with corrosion. I possibly had a contamination issue where a fill valve leaked slowly a couple of times but then sealed on the next fill. A bottle is preferable but if, like me, there is nowhere nearby to get refills you might need to use a pump regularly anyway.

Regarding the Hills dry pack, it doesn't stop moisture at the pump outlet. Even if the dry pack removes 90% of the water in the air at the intake (which is what the Hills data represents - and even this is doubtful with the short residence time) there will still be condensation in the pump. You can confirm this by looking up dew point tables; you will find that air at 200bar will only hold a minute fraction of the water in air at room temperature. The only effective method of eliminating condensation is to have a 300bar dry pack on the pump outlet, which is what you do with any decent compressor.

no avatar
redhotsheep

Tue May 12, 2020 6:14 am

How long does it take to pump up an average PCP with hand pump?

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Tue May 12, 2020 7:23 am

redhotsheep wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:14 am
How long does it take to pump up an average PCP with hand pump?
It all depends on how fit you are, between 5 to 10 min :)
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177