can't make my mind up.

no avatar
tapps

can't make my mind up.

Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:40 am

I WAS ORIGINALLY LOOKING AT A .177 AIR ARMS REGULATED TDR,
i've been looking at getting a carbine rifle in .177 cal.
i've looked online and it will be one of these three...
DAYSTATE H.R. HUNTSMAN REGAL.
AIR ARMS S510 THUMBHOLE CARBINE
WEIHRAUCH HW100 KT

I'M SO TEMPED TO GO FOR THE DAYSTATE,
on the other hand my brother had an air arms s410 thumbhole carbine, of which was a fantastic hunting rifle, maybe the s510 thumbhole is the one to go for.

no avatar
Roger5

Re: can't make my mind up.

Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:52 am

If I was ever going to contemplate a Daystate (doubtful) it would be the Huntsman
HW100 KT gave them a lot of thought when I first got into PCPs
But in the end bought an S400 .177 and to be honest, one of my favourites, still have it.
I've had quite a few A/A rifles, and don't see/feel the need to use any other make
You looked at the S510 TDR I'm sure a lot of people will buy them, but not for me,
Much prefer the S410 TDR proper take down rifle, I doubt that any of this is going to help in your choice
But good luck with whatever you get, hopefully an AirArms

Blackbaronfish

Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:35 am

I loved my carbine and wished I never sold it.
The balance and point ability was crack on for hunting. Not a great fan of the side lever as I prefer the bolt.

Good luck with your quest

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
krl510xl

Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:28 am

I’ve had 2 Daystates the last being the Pulsar in .22 @ 35 ft lbs but could not get used to a bull pup, so I decided to exchange for the Huntsman. After speaking with my local RFD that supplied Daystates his comments were - Daystates are having loads of problems at the moment and said if I purchased a Huntsman the chances of returning it under warranty was very high. He had sent the last 3 back for warranty work and is no longer a dealer for them.
So I bought a S510 Xs .22 regulated running 30 ft lbs and love it (bought from different RFD)
Hope this helps with your choice.

Keith

no avatar
tonyc

Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:19 pm

Have you tried or, at least, handled all your options? How a rifle handles can make a big difference to preference and performance, also suitability for intended use.

For example, my personal preference for stocks is Minelli and I can't get on at all with HW thumbhole stocks. I also don't like the TDR fore end. So, irrespective of the mechanical reliability and consistency, that would (for me) rule out the HW100 and TDR unless I needed the take-down capability (which is limited anyway on the 510TDR compared to the 410TDR).

Your DIY skills and interest in tinkering can also be a factor. HW100s are very good guns while they are working but are more prone to faults than Air Arms... not a problem if you enjoy sorting them out but a hassle and expense if you don't.

I don't have any direct experience of Daystate so, while I really like the idea of a Huntsman and the stock, I too have been put off by two RFDs and some users' comments on other sites.

no avatar
tapps

Wed May 06, 2020 8:47 am

well.i've ordered 5 tins of .177 airarms field diabolo (4.52),from uttings.com, i was going to order a new carbine rifle from the airgun centre online, i would rather purchase a new one from a local to me RFD,they are closed till further notice due to COVID 19.they haven't got the one i would like in stock, they will have to order one for me,i've decided to get the AIRARMS S510 WALNUT CARBINE THUMBHOLE IN .177 cal, would you be ok in ordering a new rifle online.or would you prefer to be patient and wait.