Tactical Rabbit!

no avatar
kevingambrell

Tactical Rabbit!

Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:11 pm

Is it just me or does anyone else find the level of camoflage shown in the air rifle mags seem a bit over the top?
I shoot the rabbits in our horse fields a few times a week and the closest I come to camoflage is apair of wellington boots, I may even do away with them once the ground dries out. I dont think I have ever gone out in the fields and not come back with atleast a couple of rabbits and sometimes a lot more.
Now the day the rabbits start dressing in tactical gear and carry AKm's or M4's i will adopt camo for my bunny blasting but before that happens I am in strong doubt that all the camo is needed if you stalk the bunnies sensibly.
One of the chaps that uses the same gunshop as I do informed me he wears a ghili suit for rabbits. It seems he lays in the field and sort of takes the bunnies by surprise. I imagine the biggest surprise for the rabbits would be seeing a green wooley TIT laying in the field.

raygun

Re: Tactical Rabbit!

Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:24 pm

DPM was originally designed to fool the human eye.

It's very doubtful if it works that well on animals. Most animals eyesight is designed to detect movement. Rabbit can see well at distance but no so good close up. They also obviously do not have binocular vision so distance estimation is probably not so good.
Camo is the most widely available (water proof/warm etc.) clothing at a reasonable price and probably why most people wear it.

Does it make you invisible to animals, doubt it.

ATB
Ray.

no avatar
Phil B

Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:38 pm

I remember a work colleague of mine that shoots FAC and HMR seeing 2 of my fellow club members out shooting in full ghilli suits. The only thing was that he - and the rabbits that he was after - HEARD them from around quarter a mile away as they F'd an blinded their way across the fields. Lots of money on suits totally negated by lack of appreciation of the other factors.

no avatar
wastrel

Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:57 pm

agree totally, biggest bags for me were from hides, natural or man made, staying still & hidden was the key.
warm boots & undies, sensible clothes & a Barbour, a flask & a gun rest, with AA fields & my S200, I would have tripled my bag -in 1987!
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

no avatar
piggy589

Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:11 pm

I thought rabbits along with other creatures see in black and white,whatever the scientific term is.
My last rabbit foray involved leaving the workshop still in my oil and paint stained overalls,movement,or rather a lack of it being the key to hunting success.
Ambush as opposed to stalking has brought better results on the dairy farm I shoot over.
The main rabbit population can spot you over a field away,no matter which approach route you take.

Blackbaronfish

Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:21 pm

My DPM trousers and jacket are my playing out clothes :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
BBF :mrgreen:
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
granville

Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:46 pm

ambush i find works great .

Raj

Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:09 pm

kevingambrell wrote:.... the closest I come to camoflage is apair of wellington boots, I may even do away with them once the ground dries out.

The biggest surprise for your bunnies will be you with nothing on !!! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a serious note, I do think the camo is a little bit overrated from the quarry's point of view, However, it helps me get my mind in the game so I will always put on my trusted dpm. :)
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

no avatar
robertt

Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:54 pm

Don't think camouflage makes much, if any difference. It just stops me getting covered in muck and gore and makes the landowner think I know what I'm doing.